ethernet and airport

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nedecky, Apr 12, 2011.

1. nedecky macrumors newbie

Since January, I've had my older g/b model of airport express set to "join the network," which is an 802.11n airport extreme connected to my cable modem. Until last week, the ethernet port of the airport express could be used to connect my DVD player or TV. I could do software updates on the DVD player, and watch youtube on the TV, etc. The connection became slow last week, so I decided to reconfigure the airports. Since then, the ethernet connection to the airport express is no longer recognized.

Please note, although the airport express is not an "n" model, this set-up did work just fine! The DVD or TV was automatically able to display my IP address. The express has a green light, it has no errors in Airport Utility, and AirTunes still works just fine — it's only the ethernet port that has become completely inactive.

Any thoughts?

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Having the Express joining an existing wifi network runs it in client mode, in that mode you are only able to use the audio jack and the USB port. You would need to run the Express as a WDS remote or relay to get back the use of the Ethernet port.

3. nedecky thread starter macrumors newbie

Are these two different options: WDS remote and WDS relay? If so, how would I configure this? A quick try gives me the error:
    WDS Nodes

I assure you, this worked before with no special manual setup. My tv connected via ethernet correctly, and displayed my IP address and MAC address…

Any other ideas?

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Basically the same, a relay is used when the base station is too far away to send the wifi signal to and the remote is a simple extension of the base stations wifi signal.

short answer being the remote mode would work fine.

Since these N routers have come out the option for WDS has been hidden, to use that option you need to hold down the option button while pressing the Wireless Mode drop down box. Once you have selected the WDS option a new tab should appear allowing you to set it up.

I am curious about this whole issue of how everything seemed to be working prior. I have a similar setup and I wish I didn't have to bother with WDS (although newer expresses seem to do a lot of this heavy lifting themselves) but the fact is the ethernet port just doesn't work in client mode.

5. nedecky thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi again, Darwin. I wish I could tell you more about the setup prior to my changing it. I swear, I have no knowledge in setting up a complicated WDS system, and it was working. The connection was slow, but steady. I was impressed how my tv could display the accurate IP and MAC addresses with no manual input. The "viera cast" button on this Panasonic tv allowed me to view weather, youtube, and a few other web-based sites. It all worked. I even set up a few favourite cities for the weather, and could go back and forth between them, as the system updated periodically.

The only thing I can think of why this may have worked is that the express was set up at one time as a base station. I thought I wiped out those settings, but if they remained in some way, I wonder if that could allow it to behave in such a way that it responded to the ethernet port…

If I try to set up a WDS network, will the airport express still extend the range of the main signal? Will I still be able to use its stereo port for AirTunes? Is there any major "con" to a WDS setup (aside from a confusing setup)? Can you recommend a good step-by-step online tutorial for setting up n base stations with b/g remotes?

Thank you so much.

6. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

It certainly is a puzzle, I would love for there to be a way of using the Expresses ethernet port in client mode but I guess we'll never know what your setup was prior.

Yes the Express will extend the network, however since it is a b/g router it will only extend the range using that b/g protocol. Depending on its placement this may pull nearby wifi systems onto a b/g connection rater than keeping them on the faster n one. A simple fix to this is to simply un-ticking the "Allow Wireless Clients" option on the Express (That will be under the WDS tab, you can't miss it).

The audio jack will function as was in client mode so nothing lost there.

A link to a WDS setup guide is here: Link

2 things to be aware of when reading this guide:

1)
    While this comment is true you don't have both devices that are N capable.

2) The option of WDS on the N routers is hidden thus:

Good luck

7. nedecky thread starter macrumors newbie

Darwin,

I have now set up the network so that two b/g expresses participate in a WDS network with the n extreme base station. Everything is working properly. Thanks for your help,

Jason.