ethernet and wireless...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shiato storm, Nov 13, 2008.

1. shiato storm macrumors member

just a quickie - I've got a wireless router set up but transferring folders of music/images etc are quite high on the size scale which take ages. I plug in an ethernet cable and it takes the time to transfer down to minutes (from hours!). BUT I had to turn off the airport card in one computer first for it to find the ethernet cable connection and use that instead.
    is there a way of getting each machine to recognise when a cable connection is made and use that over the slower wireless connection?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If the ethernet cable is plugged in when you wake up the machine, it'll use ethernet instead.

Otherwise once the wireless connection is made, it'll stay wireless.

3. belvdr macrumors 601

That seems like a dumb way to do things. If I startup wireless, and then plug in and get a gigabit connection, why in the world would the OS want to stay on wireless? Ubuntu and Windows have this right, I guess. Ugh...

4. shiato storm thread starter macrumors member

yeah seems odd that. maybe plug in cable, shut mbp lid, wait a sec then reopen. probably takes the same time it would to go into network settings faff about a bit and then carry on...or perhaps even quicker..!

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

With the ethernet cord connected, you can turn off and then turn on the wifi. Takes a second to do.

You might also want to write to apple.com/feedback

6. wackymacky macrumors 65832

wackymacky

I'm not in frount of my Mac right now but,

isn't there a setting in air-port utility that you can chose file sharing over ethernet? (still alowing internet, printing etc to occur over the wirelress?

7. geekgirl macrumors regular

To speed things up, set up a Location in the Network control panel. I had to do this back when I still had dial-up at home. It's really easy to do. To switch, just go to the Apple menu, select Location > Ethernet or Wireless, as needed.

8. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

You should be able to change the connection order in the Network preference panel. Try putting the ethernet connection above the airport connection.