Ethernet cable connecting ethernet port to iPhone? Feasible?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by t0mat0, May 19, 2009.

1. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Hello - I was just wondering if any other macrumorsmembers have been in the situation where there's no wifi, no decent 3G, but ethernet ports available to use, but you don't have a computer handy?

Would it be possible that you could create an ethernet cable one end, dock the other, and literally connect e.g. an iPhone into the ethernet?

At my place of work, there's no signal (dodgy GPRS/flakey Edge), some wifi, but in halls of residence, you get 1 ethernet port, and you can't put a wireless router onto it. It would seem that it would be an interesting solution, if it was possible.

Any thoughts?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Nope.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8054198

I don't think it's possible from a third-party add-on because of the way the iPhone handles data. Apple would have to release the product, and I don't see that happening. Utility aside, the idea of operating a handheld device with a big ol' cable attaching you to the wall doesn't seem very Apple-like.

I think your best bet is the AirPort Express option suggested in the thread I linked.

3. wackymacky macrumors 65832

wackymacky

There have been a few ways described to connect a jail broken phone to the internet via the dock. But they all require the phone being connected to a router/modem. They also require fair understanding of port settings with results being a bit hit and miss

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Since you can plug a router into the ethernet port why not just plug in a Wireless router or access point? Most routers can have DHCP disabled and just act as a switch/access point.

5. t0mat0 thread starter macrumors 603

t0mat0

Thanks for the link - I'm wondering if this would work - they try and lock down users creating their own wireless networks that incorporate the ethernet uni connection. I'll have a chat with them, but they basically told me that a switch was the only way currently. But then i'm in the same position - conneting the switch to the iPhone.