Ethernet cable doesnt stay plugged into 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Sep 16, 2010.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

it keeps sliding out. tried two ethernet cables. anyone else?

it clicks it but doesn't really stay in place, i can easily yank it out.

2. itripped macrumors member

you might have broken the latch. it's a little plastic part on the top edge. It might still be there but cracked or something. If so, it should be covered under warranty - I had them replace my entire logic board for this once (on an ibook g4). Not that I wanted an entirely new board, but the parts aren't separate.

3. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

oh, i didnt break it off that i can remember. first time i used the ethernet cable at all was when i started going abroad (about two weeks ago).

Going to be out of the country until the middle of january. For the most part, I use wifi anyways and if I ever use ethernet (only now), it's usually when it's stationary on the table.

In this instance i've been using it in bed and such. oh well. i'll just have to be careful.

Thanks.

4. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

it keeps sliding out when I use the laptop from bed. Can you think of a quick fix? Maybe just some tape?

5. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

The little plastic tab on ethernet jacks on the cables can easily break off...and this "sliding out" of the cable can easily happen if this piece has broken off the connector. I have many cables with broken tabs on them, they work, but you have to be careful if you move a computer because the cable can easily slide out.

6. Hans Brix macrumors 6502

You might try bending the plastic tab up a bit. Not too much or you'll break it off.