Ethernet cable is unplugged??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by john2006wright, Dec 12, 2008.

1. john2006wright macrumors regular

Each time I connect an ethernet cable to my macbook to a network point I still get this message. I have tried different network points, different networks and different cables. Should I assume My ethernet port is damaged? Is their any other possibility I'm missing? I've always used the airport until recently but unfortuantely there is no wireliss in my new office. I have given my MAC address to the admin people, so i should have access.

Any advice greatfully recieved.

john

2. atthecross macrumors 6502

do you have another computer to connect the router to? That way you would half split the problem.

3. atthecross macrumors 6502

dang, just saw the last part of your post, you're trying to connect at the office.

is your office mac or pc?

if pc, then go to another computer and go start>run>type cmd
    dos window pops up, type: ipconfig /all

this will give all your ip info

depends on your IT people if they have static address' assigned or DHCP. If static, then most likely they 'hand out' IPs and you go from there.

4. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

i'm using my macbook. My friend can plug her PC into the plug using the same cable and it works.
    I've havent used the ethernet port before, so I don;t know if there is any additional settings to play with.

5. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Call up IT and make sure your mac address was programmed into the switch. If it wasn't, it won't work for your connection. I would test a cable at home and see if it is recognized.