Ethernet cable or wireless

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by starla88, Sep 3, 2008.

1. starla88 macrumors newbie

Hey, ..

Just got an imac :)

From a PC upstairs (2 floors with hardwood) we have three computer's internet connected through wires that run through our house. For some reason the box the wires all meet at also emits wireless internet signals. When I had my old PC here in the basement it could not pick up the signals, but my new imac can. So now I'm wondering if I should connect to the internet through the wires or through wireless, if it makes a difference? Whatever is best for the imac/saving energy/better connection?:confused:

2. AppleWoW macrumors regular

AppleWoW

You'll probably get a faster connection though the cable. (assuming its Ethernet with it probably is) Also take into consideration that the number of people using the internet siamotainously will slow down internet speeds. Wireless wouldn't be a good idea if you have several people using the internet at one time, although the wireless would spare you from being hooked up.

3. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

ethernet is much faster than wireless connection. i would suggest ethernet. but then you will have to stay within one place.
    however if you have wireless you are free to go anywhere. so if you plan to move your furnitture around or imac then you wont have to worry about wires that keep you stuck to the wall.

although i rather have wireless. just get a really powerful router and your set and free of wires. you can go literally anywhere. tho you hav a mac so that might be a lil different

4. starla88 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll stick with the ethernet then, since it's already been drilled through the house that way

If I ever move to a new house, I'll set it up wirelessly ;)

Thanks for responding

5. kolax macrumors G3

Ethernet is faster than wireless for network purposes - not the actual internet which is the impression many people give people when they ask what is better, wireless or ethernet. Yes, it is true that you'll get faster speeds with ethernet if you are sharing large amounts of data over your home network, but you'll not notice a difference when you browse the internet.

And wireless will be fine if you have a lot of users connected at the same time. Most routers allow up to 50 users connected. The performance will drop a lot since a lot of people are sharing the same internet connection, but for the home user, having a few wireless users connected at the same time is not going to impact anything at all.