ethernet cable

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by arfofoto, Aug 23, 2007.

1. arfofoto macrumors newbie

I'm very new to a mac. using a macbook pro and want to connect to a router and or a modem with an ethernet cable. But my laptop doesn't seem to recognise it when i connect the cable. what i'm i doing wrong

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

What does it say under System Prefs->Network, What color 'light' next to Ethernet?

3. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Is it a cable modem? A general rule with modems for getting an internet connection...

The modem will only recognize one device at a time (by its MAC address). If your router is connected, then it will recognize the router's MAC address. If you then switch to have your computer connected directly to the modem, then you'll have to power cycle the modem in order for it to recognize your computer's MAC address and communicate with it. To power cycle the modem, unplug it for a few minutes. If it has a battery backup, remove it.

In other words, if you've been playing around with the connections, switching between the router and the computer, you'll want to power cycle the modem each time you switch.

4. arfofoto thread starter macrumors newbie

It is red. Is it possible that because on my switch are only windows pc it isn't recognising my mac

5. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

The modem doesn't know and doesn't care if it is a Mac, a Wii, an XBox or a PC. Previous post by yadmonkey is right about power cycling the modem. But you mention a switch, are there multiple ethernet ports? In the Network Preferences you should be connecting via ethernet with DHCP.

6. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Turn everything off, then unplug everything, then connect the Mac and just the Mac to the router/modem with the ethernet cable.

Switch everything back on and then run Network in the System Preferences, in there if you dont get a green light beside Ethernet try the Assist Me option at the bottom.

Hope that helps :)

7. arfofoto thread starter macrumors newbie

I have 8 ethernet ports. I don't find DHCP. But shouldn't there at least been a light burning on my switch

8. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Yes - if you're not getting a light on either the port on the switch to which the mac is plugged in or a "red light" in the Mac's Network preferences, you might simply have a bad ethernet cable or even a bad port on the switch or the Mac. I'd test it with another cable.

Can you test your MBP's ethernet port elsewhere to make sure it's working?