Ethernet card issues OS 7.6.1

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jrock2004, May 4, 2008.

1. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

First let me start off in saying that this is a temp mac till I buy new imac.

Ok I have a mac running OS 7.6.1 on a power mac 6500

I installed an ethernet card in the PCI slot and booted my mac. The light on ethernet card is is on. Question is I go into TCP/IP and nothing is there for IP. Conect via only has Appletalk and PPP. Is there something I have to edit or change? Is it a driver issue? Thanks for any help

2. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

the TCP/IP Extension and Control Panel (I think there's both for TCP/IP) should both be cut on. Are they?

3. jrock2004 thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you talking about the TCP/IP extention or just TCP/IP in general. I have the TCP/IP in the control panel

4. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I think there should be a TCP/IP Extension as well (I obviously haven't used 7.6.1 in years) and it needs to load on startup. Open up the Extensions Manager and have a look. If the little box next to TCP/IP isn't checked, click on it to turn it on, and then re-start.

5. jrock2004 thread starter macrumors 6502

It is checked and I rebooted and still nothing? Do I need to enable appletalk or something?

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Though I have OS 7 I do not have it networked however here are some resources you can look at.

Very Thorough Guide: This guide covers alot of networking info from System 6 and up. Looks very promising for you.

Google open transport tcp/ip results from above guide
    FAQ: Has two network sections and an internet section
    68kmla: Though the focus is on 68k Macs these forums you ought to be able to get more respondents for Mac OS 7 questions.
    Another Guide: This guide is meant for DSL but the 3rd party programs listed may work for your networking problem.
    Downloads: Page maintained by Apple for old software updates

7. jrock2004 thread starter macrumors 6502

I will try it out tonight I just downloaded it to a floppy and will let you know

8. jrock2004 thread starter macrumors 6502

That did not work thru those sites but honestly I think I am going to drop idea and just wait till I buy my new imac in the next month here