Ethernet & Charging - Macbook 12

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by LUISRMOTA, Feb 25, 2016.

1. LUISRMOTA macrumors newbie

LUISRMOTA

hello:

How can i charge my macbook 12 when im wired to a ethernet cable ?

Any hub ? Solution ?

Thanks in advance.

2. keviig macrumors 6502

3. LUISRMOTA thread starter macrumors newbie

LUISRMOTA

4. keviig macrumors 6502

You're welcome! I'll probably get one myself once it's available, seeing as it has both VGA and HDMI.

5. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

I saw a couple o Amazon. Item A and Item B.
    Also, testing with Netgear wifi router there is no real loss in wifi vs what rMB gets on ethernet.

6. LUISRMOTA thread starter macrumors newbie

LUISRMOTA

Thanks .
    but how i can charge a the same time ? Cant see no Port ...

7. mmthor macrumors newbie

USB-C to USB-A adapter with charging USB-C port

This lets you plug in a USB-to-ethernet adapter (or any other USB peripheral), while still charging using your regular USB-C charger. There are many USB-to-ethernet adapters out there. I have this one; works fine, though takes some seconds to establish a link on occasion. If you don't care about gigabit speed, you can find 10/100 adapters for less $.

8. keviig macrumors 6502

Nice find!
    However, it states that it will charge at 14.5V 1.5A (21.75W) which is lower than what the charger is rated at (29W). Do you use it? If so, does it charge at a reasonable speed?

9. mmthor macrumors newbie

Yes, I use it, but with a different charger (this Google-made charger), which is only 15W. So it charges more slowly anyway. I haven't tested it with my regular Apple charger. I keep the Google charger and this USB adapter and ethernet adapter at work; at home I have the Apple AV adapter with HDMI out so I can use my external monitor.

10. LUISRMOTA thread starter macrumors newbie

LUISRMOTA

Where i conect the usb-c ? sorry dont understand.

11. keviig macrumors 6502

You plug the adapter directly into your macbook, then the charger into the other USB c port on the adapter. Then you will need a USB A (normal USB) to ethernet adapter that you plug into the USB A port.

12. LUISRMOTA thread starter macrumors newbie

LUISRMOTA

sorry but i cant see any usb-c port on the adapter (im sorry may be i being stupid)

13. keviig macrumors 6502

14. mmthor macrumors newbie

The female USB-C charging port is on the side of the adapter. It has a male USB-C connector at one end, that goes into your MacBook, and a female USB-A port at the other, for plugging in other peripherals.

15. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

16. LUISRMOTA thread starter macrumors newbie

LUISRMOTA

17. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I have been using the Apple Digital Display Adapter and a regular usb-a hub with ethernet since I bought the Macbook. Works fine.

18. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

[​IMG]

I use the Apple USB-C adapter as well which of course has HDMI and charging.

For Ethernet, I use this ASUS adapter which as a bonus is also a Wi-Fi router. In hotel rooms in China the wired Ethernet often has more reliability and speed and connecting my iPhone and iPad to this mini router allows me to skip those annoying hotel login screens too. Plug this in to my RMB and instantly have all 3 of my travel devices online. One of my favorite accessories.

BJ

19. keviig macrumors 6502

You know you can use your macbook as a Wifi router without that adapter too? I did that with my old rMBP when in a Hong Kong hotel. Connected via Thunderbolt --> Ethernet adapter then made a wireless hotspot on my rMBP for my iPhone.

20. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Nice. I run Windows 10 exclusively on my RMB, so I don't think I have that capability.

BJ

21. keviig macrumors 6502