ethernet connected but internet&server failed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Atazure, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Atazure macrumors newbie

Hello, i've got a new problem now. After setting my Built-in Ethernet card to DHCP today, for some reason it all of a sudden got an ip adress and became green and stated that it was connected.

But i couldn't open any websites on either of my browsers (mozilla, safari) and when i used the diagnostic it said that the internet, isp and network were working but that the Internet and Server have failed.

Can anyone help me with nthis new perdicament? I read somewhere that maybe i should swap the eth0 and eth1? Make one internal while the other external? I'm not sure if this applies

I'm using a macbook and am connecting to a dormitory internet. I had to give them my Ethernet ID and they gave me a password and a login which i still am not too sure what to do with. When i use the PPPoE version my network settings/internet/server fail.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3. Atazure thread starter macrumors newbie

apple doesn't work and...neither does the number website.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Then it's not likely to be DNS related. Do you have a valid IP address? i.e., not 169.254.x.x.
    Restarted your router?

5. Atazure thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a valid IP but i have no idea how to restar my router.

I connect from my laptop to a wall plug in for internet cables and if the router is some sort of box and not in my laptop (how technologically unsavvy am i? "some sort of box"), i can't get to it cause it's locked up and the person responsible fo rthe network will be back on monday :( (i am currently using the internet of one of my roomates who's using the same network but from a different plug in and from a Vista laptop).

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Tough call then. Your school should have a help desk you can call to get help with this.

7. Atazure thread starter macrumors newbie

There's noone here who can be referred to as school help desk unfortunately, but thank yoy for your help. I'm really greatful even thought we weren't able to find a solution.

I'll try calling apple help tomorrow and maybe some solution will arise.

Thanks a bunch :)

8. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Ok, not DNS.

If you set it to use DHCP, what was it set to use before?

Why did you change it?

Now that you have changed it, what IP address have you got? Does it match the other computers on the network?

How far does pinging get you? I.E. ping another host, ping an internal server, ping the router, ping google. Which fails?

If you unplug the plug the cable, does the ethernet port disable? If they took your EthernetID, by which I'm assuming you mean MAC address, they are probably doing ethernet based MAC address filtering/security. The username and password is probably for some authentication. You might have to authenticate before you are allowed out to the Internet.

TBH, I don't think Apple will be able to help you, you really need to speak to the school IT Team

9. Atazure thread starter macrumors newbie

In the begnnng i set t to PPPoE because that was the only place i saw could input a pass and logn.

Because t wasn't working and someone on the forums here told me to change it to DHCP and was also advised to do that by two other people (the apple help nfoline staff and a tech savvy friend over the phone).

Um am now at work and unable to remember the IP adress but it seemed to connect yesterday with a smimlar adress the last six or three digits dffered everytime it connected.