Ethernet connection from MAC to Yamaha audio receiver

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by HMe347, May 20, 2012.

1. HMe347 macrumors newbie

Can I run an ethernet cable directly from an IMAC 10.5.8 port to Yamaha 671 ethernet port without using a router? I have Airport Express in another room and its only ethernet port is used for a Verizon DSL modem connection. The MAC gets a WIFI from Airport Express signal to function.

My objective is to get Itunes from the MAC to network to the Yamaha via an ethernet cable. If it is not possible to do a direct connection, can I use a TP Link TL-WR700N router (or another inexpensive router) instead of second Airport Express which is more expensive.

2. simsaladimbamba

You should be able to do so, meaning a direct connection between your Mac and the Yamaha.
    I guess it is for internet radio use? If so, you have to enable internet sharing via System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing > Share your connection from: AirPort > To computers using: Ethernet.

3. HMe347 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it is for ITunes radio too. The Yamaha is Network enabled. I was not sure whether the MAC ethernet port allows for streaming without the use of a router.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Yes the Mac can "share" an Internet connection like that. A router is overkill. An Eithernet switch or hub would work. also I direct connection will work as long as theYamaha can "auto sense" otherwise you'd need a "crossover cable" to flip the transom\receive pair.

5. simsaladimbamba

Macs can do that flipping automatically, even my G4 iBook could do that, thus no need for such cable.

Apple products that require an Ethernet crossover cable

Connecting Two Macs via Ethernet: