Ethernet dead - late 2008 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by monty77, Jul 11, 2009.

1. monty77 macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

Must be pretty much the 1st time I've ever tried to use wired ethernet on my MBP and it looks like it's dead :(

System prefs in OSX and Windows XP (bootcamp) say the cable in unplugged. When I put the same cable into my Thinkpad it works straight away, will try another cable later today but it does look pretty dead on the MBP.

I did some googling and found a few people with the same problem, is this a common issue? Returning it to Apple the only solution?

Am very thankful I'm still within the year as I didn't go for Applecare but I'd be fuming if I had to fork out for this outside the year as it's likely been dead since day one.

Thanks!
    Monty

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Actually, you can still purchase and activate Apple Care up to 1 year after the date of purchase

But, yes, if you feel the ethernet is defective, you should take it back and have it evaluated

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. bluespaceoddity macrumors regular

How do you connect to the Internet? PPPoE? Password required?

You may be able to get the cable to work by changing the settings in System Preferences > Ethernet > Advanced > Ethernet tab. Does manually changing the configuration settings for speed etc there to match your situation bring any improvement?