Ethernet dead, time for a new laptop maybe

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Smileyguy, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

My ethernet isn't working, and I've worked out that it's my 12' Powerbook's fault. Does anyone have any suggested DIY fixes? I'm thinking it's a hardware problem because I didn't change anything or do anything differently and it just stopped working, though the same wires and router work fine with other machines.

It's a bummer because I'm facing other repair costs (new airport card, new CD-RW drive, new batter) and this might be the straw that breaks the camels back and persuades me to just buy a new laptop.

Could anyone hazard a guess as to how much it might cost to repair the ethernet problem? A ball park figure?

Is there any way the reapair could be a DIY job?

Thanks a lot,

SG

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

not worth fixing. You'd probably need a new logic board depending whats wrong with it exactly. Could be the port or the controller chip.

if those 3 other things are wrong as well, I'd say hit up the apple refurb store and get you a new macbook for under a grand. Best deal going.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

When you look at Network Status in the Network panel do you get a Green, Yellow or Red indicator and have you checked the settings in Network to make sure they did not get messed up? You can also "Repair permissions" in "Disk Utility" in case the permissions got screwed up on your configuration files or ethernet driver.

If you want to escalate further you could go on a different computer and set up a Static IP address for the Powerbook. In 10.4 and earlier go to "Network", Show "Built-in Ethernet " then tick the "Ethernet" tab. Copy down the "Ethernet ID" this is your MAC address (not as in Macintosh).

Then access your Router from another machine and create a static IP address this is located in a different menu in every router so I can not tell you exactly where this is. When creating a static IP address input your Powerbooks MAC address then choose an IP address for it, such as 192.168.0.103 if your Router is 192.168.0.1 and save. Then in your Powerbook go to "Network" -> "Built-in Ethernet" -> "TCP/IP".

First set "Configure IPv4" to "Using DHCP"
    then try "Using DHCP with Manual Address" and input the static IP Address
    next try "Manually", input your Static IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Router

Subnet Mask is usually 255.255.255.0
    Router is usually 192.168.0.1, it is the address used to log on from a browser
    Static IP is the one you chose like 192.168.0.103

4. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

How about buying an adapter for the card slot and using that to connect to your ethernet?

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Did you try resetting the PRAM? Also, try booting in safe mode to clear out the hardware cache, then reboot and test again.

6. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, will try all that now.

It's working fine now - which leads me to believe that it's a hardware problem, because rather than being on or off it's dropping in and out (mostly out though).

Could someone tell me more about the possibility of buying an adapter for the card slot? How much would this cost?

7. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Still working fine, been going okay for the last few hours.

I really hope it's okay because I love this machine!

I know absolutely nothing about the possibility of using the card slot for ethernet via an adapter - if anyone could briefly outline how this is done and how much I could expect it to cost, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

SG

8. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

This was the first hit I got in google: http://www.small-tree.com/PEG34m_p/peg34m.htm

I am sure a more thorough search would provide other results. The link above is $79. You can also get USB versions of ethernet adapters.

9. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The 12" PowerBook G4 does not have a card slot unless you are talking about where the airport card is. I say you reset the PSU and see what that does (you know, have no power to the computer whatsoever and then hold down the power button for 5 seconds or so). If that doesn't work out, you're pretty much screwed, but be happy it's given you so many years of service.

10. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

"...dropping in and out..." Is this happening after you reset the PRAM or before you reset the PRAM?

Also, when you plug the RJ45 connector into the computer, is it a snug fit or loose? The RJ45 plug or receptacle may be slightly worn so the contacts may not be meeting properly. I would try another ethernet cable.

Again, you could have had a corrupted PRAM or hardware cache file. Before thinking about repairs or other alternatives, see if the problem reoccurs and try another cable.

11. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

My 7 year old Powerbook has one, so I assumed all Powerbooks would. Sorry for the confusion. You could still get wireless over a USB adapter. It seems a shame to relegate a working machine to the heap when possible solutions are out there.