Ethernet Expresscard 34 on Macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gdourado, Jan 12, 2011.

1. gdourado macrumors 6502

gdourado

Hello,

How is eveyone?
    I currently have a problem.
    I have a router/switch from my ISP to connect to the Internet.
    The switch on the router is ethernet 100 mbps. That is fine for internet connection.
    The problem I'm facing is that I'm thinking about building a storage unit with Unraid from Limesoft. To use the server, I would like to connect by gigabit ethernet to write and read files at a good speed.
    So, what I would really like would be to have another ethernet port on my Macbook pro 17, to do the following:

- Ethernet 1: Macbook pro - Router - Internet.
    - Ethernet 2: Macbook pro - Gigabit Switch - Unraid

So, to be able to do this, I think the only option would be an Expresscard 34 Gigabit ethernet Card.

I browsed the web and came across one from Sonnet Tech:

[​IMG]

On the sonnet site, they say it is mac compatible and runs on Snowleopard.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/prestogigproec34.html

My question is, since I have the mid 2009 17 inch MBP, with know problems running esata expresscards, will the ethernet card run? Does anyone have any experience with this or other gigabit ethernet card? Preferably on a mid 2009 MBP.

Please help me out.
    Thanks!

Cheers!

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Why not just put the gigabit switch in-between the router and your computer, then also connect the Unraid to the gigabit switch as well?

3. gdourado thread starter macrumors 6502

gdourado

Hi,

I thought of that, but then, wouldn't the Unraid be registered on the router as a network device and be slown down to 100 mbs? Or would the connection between the Mac and the Unraid be direct at gigabit speed?

Cheers!