Ethernet Female to Female Box

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Eraserhead, May 19, 2007.

1. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

In my house we have an Ethernet cable coming through the wall into my bedroom upstairs. Now after rearranging the furnature the cable doesn't quite reach where I have my computer. Is it possible to buy a box that sits on the wall which you can plug the end of the cable into (basically being a female-to-female ethernet adapter)?

Thanks

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I use little F to F adapters to string together cables at work... you can get them all over the place; Dabs, Maplins, PC World etc.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

4. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Just buy a longer cable. by the time you buy the connector and another cable, it would be a wash. cables are cheap and you have one less connection to mess with.

edit: I didn't understand the question. You only have a cable coming out of the wall, not a jack? Yeah, the connectors are easy.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I already have a box full of various adapters and cables. Sometimes we shift Macs and printers about, one printer needed a 20 metre run. It's good to have the flexibility.

6. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

At what distance do you start to have signal problems with Cat5/6?

(I think I did a 60 metre run one time. wore me plumb out...;) )

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think the spec for Cat5 is 100m. Obviously in a single continuous cable: these connector boxes might well cut that down a bit.