Ethernet HD Thru Airport Extreme - Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Djmx, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Djmx macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2007
    Question - I have a Ethernet External Drive.. That is connected to my Airport that i access thru out my house and saved things on it.. It's a LACIE it does not use usb plug. Is there anyway of using the ethernet thru airport with TIME MACHINE? :rolleyes:
  2. Djmx thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2007
  3. MadGoat macrumors 65816

Jul 30, 2007
    it's been answered dozens of times, there was/is/still a big hub-bub about it.

Time Machine at this time will only work (guaranteed) with a USB external drive if connected directly to a USB Port on your computer (or another mac system).

there has been some people mucking around with different methods on trying to get it to work on an Airport Extreme, but it's not always succesful and I wouldn't want to backup all that information wirelessly with the possibility that it could easily mess up...

This was a feature in the Beta tests, and I'm sure it was pulled for a very good reason, maybe in the future it will make a return when Apple sees that it works as it should.

In short, I guess I'm trying to say, use the search function and you could have seen your answer ad nauseum.
  4. Djmx thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2007
    I know that is has been answered. My question was for a ETHERNET HD not a USB... 2 different things. THAT'S Y i made a post asking about ethernet. I was not talking bout thte USB... b/c the USB the method is you have to connect and i always search b4 i post. I'm not a n00b.
  5. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

Jun 26, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Some have reported good results with NAS but I think it is still hit and miss.

The point the poster was making above is it doesn't matter if you are using USB or a NAS it isn't guaranteed. The only think we KNOW works is a drive connected directly.
  6. aicul macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2007
    no cars, only boats
    There are simple methods. I have connected my harddrive to a mini and run timemachine for all my other macs using airport. just need to make sure the drive is mounted on the other macs.