ethernet help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GAP, Sep 20, 2007.

1. GAP macrumors newbie

I upgraded my dsl connection through a wireless router with a cable connection through another isp....I can not get my mac g4 to connect through its ethernet port from the cable modem...I have disabled the airport port...can someone please help?.....why wont it connect through the hard wire?

2. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

I would love to help, but I can't understand your question. If you are trying to connect over ethernet, go to your System Preferences and make a new location, connect over ethernet and disable the other possible connections (Airport, Firewire, whatever). The important part is make a new location. Sometimes modifying existing settings doesn't work. Post back, let us know what is going on...

3. GAP thread starter macrumors newbie

i can not get my mac to connect through its ethernet port...I connect the cable directly from the cable modem to my mac Ibook g4 through its ethernet port but it will not connect...I have been in the network settings but I really do not know what to do

4. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Dude, I know you are frustrated, but what are you trying to say? Do you have a "mac g4" or a "mac Ibook g4" or both? Two computers requires a whole different game plan. Switching between two computers and one cable modem is a different deal. Where does the wireless router come in?

5. GAP thread starter macrumors newbie

ibook g4....sorry...it works fine on my wireless router through my dsl connection...however today i got another isp connection...a cable modem....when i plug the ethernet cable from my new cable modem to my computer i can not get it to connect....

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Connect the ethernet cable to your mac, then reset the cable modem.

7. GAP thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont want to use the router yet...i want to connect from the new cable modem...it has an ethernet cable coming from it...i want to plug it into my ethernet port on my ibook g4 and connect that way and not use the router

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Who said anything about a router, read my advice again.

9. GAP thread starter macrumors newbie

10. GAP thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks dude...did the trick...saved me from phone bank hell...been trying all day...thx again