Ethernet Link Light on Netgear Hub is not lighting up

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PatMorris, Feb 10, 2013.

1. PatMorris macrumors newbie

We are using an IPcop firewall with the local LAN port feeding a Netgear
    EN108 hub with 4 devices connected. The "link" light on all the other ports
    shows steady on, as it should. For a long time the link light from the Macbook
    port also works properly as it should, but now the link does not show steady
    any longer, but just flashes, along with the RXData light on the hub as well,
    when trying to connect. The Macbook then goes to a 169.254.x.x self-assigned address (useless). Have done a power reset on the hub, and rebooted the router here, no difference. The apparent symptom is that the
    ethernet jack on the macbook is no longer working properly here at home. We have a
    wireless AP connected to another port on the hub and it also is getting an
    address from the firewall/router and is working properly. This is a long-term working solution that suddenly stops working with the Macbook not working
    with any of the hub ports - everything else still works normally.

The Ethernet cable -which used to work with the Macbook - tests 100% good with a Siemon STM8
    cable tester I have. Replaced the cable with another 5e ethernet cable, also
    tests 100% good, no difference.

I took my machine in to the Apple store and it connected right away to the Store's ethernet connection.

Our configuration is this: Cablemodem with static IP connects to "external"
    port on firewall. "Local" LAN port connects to 8-port Netgear EN108 hub
    which feeds several devices here, all others working normally. Swapping
    ports no help. Link light on hub for this one port only (Macbook port)
    will not come on. This has all symptoms of a Layer-1 problem but rebooting
    the Macbook, resetting DHCP etc does not make the link light on.

What is keeping the ethernet interface on the Macbook from turning on
    the link light on the hub? Why does this machine not even provide a link
    LED? How do I test the ethernet interface at the PHY (layer 1) layer on
    the macbook?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

That EN108 hub is ancient 10BT and it's a hub and is therefore rubbish. Toss it and buy a switch, a GigE 8 port switch will cost around $20-$30.

3. PatMorris thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, you might have a point on the age of the equipment, and I don't even want to start to address the age of the equipment owners :D Do you know how do I monitor the network traffic on a switch that does not have a managed port?

Also, do you have any idea why this configuration worked for over 2 years and then stopped working just on my machine?

Since the issue is apparently Layer 1 - do you do have any idea how to test that with a mac book?