Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I am trying to set up a network between me and a friend at school to swith files.

I am using a Powerbook G4 and he a brand new macbook! I have tried finder>go>connect to server>browse>*********'s computer I enter the password and I get connection failed. It also takes along time for the laptop to connect after I select connecrt from the network preferences. I get the spinning wheel for atleast a few minutes.

Please Help! Thanks

P.s I am using an ethernet connected from the powerbook to the macbook and am adminstering through the powerbook! (as that has all the fies and documents to exchange)

P.s.s Has anyone got any better ways of transfering the docs/files. It is a large thing not a few kb, around 40gb

Thanks!

2tallyAwesome

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2007
Do you have a usb or firewire cable?

Just shut down your powerbook and start it in target disk mode (hold down t at start up) and connect it to the macbook. The drive will mount to his desktop.

Easiest way to transfer files.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Do you have a usb or firewire cable?

Just shut down your powerbook and start it in target disk mode (hold down t at start up) and connect it to the macbook. The drive will mount to his desktop.

Easiest way to transfer files.

Sounds great I will try it out! Thanks!!!

Is there any reason why the ethernet network doesnt work or is it just my computer being annoying!!!!

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Ethernet network

I have tried to connect to the other Mac from my powerbook by finder>go>connect to server>selecting his macbook and clicking coneect but it just times out!

Is it possible to connect to macs via ethernet???

Thanks

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Yes easily, but you have to setup the networking stack first! Assign the machines different IP addresses in the same subnet and you'll be fine.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Yes easily, but you have to setup the networking stack first! Assign the machines different IP addresses in the same subnet and you'll be fine.

Ah thanks!!! Sadly that is a little complicated for my not so good knowledge!

Do you know of a website or another tutorial possibly with pictures???

Thanks!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I'm not on a Mac to post pictures but it's easy. Open System Preferences->Network. Choose the Ethernet port and click the tabs till you get one with IP address and Subnet on it.

Set one to 192.168.0.1 (ip) and 255.255.255.0 (subnet). Set the other to 192.168.0.2 and 255.255.255.0. You may also need to set the default router on each machine to the IP address of the other machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.