Ethernet nightmare- I need help please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Spleencage, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Spleencage macrumors newbie

My ethernet port blew on my DP- G5 powermac. OS 10.4.11
    ( I am certain of this- i.e. its not a bad cable or cable modem box- they work fine with my other mac.)

I purchased a Kensington microdock which is a USB to Ethernet adaptor.
    This is NOT a USB powered device, it runs on a power adaptor.

I installed the proper driver from their CD. (where that driver is on my HD I do not know)
    My computer recognizes the microdock. but only auto-configures it partially.

How do I make the configuration settings in the "Network" portion of my system perferences?

Any help or links to help sites would be greatly appreciated

thanks!

p.s. the tech support team at Kensington claims they have no knowledge how to configure my mac.

2. raysfan81 macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

3. Spleencage thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your input

to answer your question, there is nothing to indicate at the trendnet website that their product is mac compatible. This is for a pre-intel G5 running 10.4

Yes there are apple ether cards for G5 but the cheapest I have found is $50 and they all require an OS upgrade to 10.5 which in my particular case would a be a very expensive proposition as a great deal of other software would have to be updated.

I live in the boonies, and its ALL PC here, there's no place close to just have computer repaired.

The microdock was $32 and is 10.4. compatibile.

Again, I need to know how to configure this in my system preferences.

4. yukio macrumors regular

dumb question, but ....

when you open the Network System Preference, did you unlock it (if locked) and then press the plus sign to add a new service?

if everything's OK, you should get a new window from which you can select the new adapter there and configure your protocols as needed..

5. Spleencage thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats exactly my problem, I dont know how to configure the protocol.
    As said, the computer already recognizes the adaptor