ethernet not being picked up???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bodisaffa1, May 15, 2007.

1. bodisaffa1 macrumors newbie

I have a perfect wireless connestion on my powerbook, however when I try and use the ethernet cable it wont pick it up. my mac says ethernet cable is not plugged in and the light on the router is not lighting up. I have just tried the ethernet cable in a windows laptop and it works fine, the light on the router comes straight on and the windows laptop picks it up and connects to the net no problem, could there be something wrong with my powerbook???? thanks all in advance

2. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

in System Prefs -> Network -> Show: Network Port Configurations, is there a check mark beside "Built-In Ethernet"?

3. bodisaffa1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for quick reply, I think I have checked that but I just checked again and it is ticked, I just unticked it and re-ticked it and clicled apply now but no good:( any other ideas??....thanks

4. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

are all of the other options unchecked?

if that doesn't do the trick, i'm not sure what to suggest...hopefully someone more networking-savvy will come along and save the day. :)

5. bodisaffa1 thread starter macrumors newbie

tried it with all the othe boxes ticked and unticked but no good. as I say wireless is perfect just no ethernet??? thanks

6. bodisaffa1 thread starter macrumors newbie

is there anyway I can test if my ethernet port is working??......thanks

7. kwabena macrumors member

kwabena

I have the same problem. It started on May 16th and yours 16th. Nobody seems to have a solution. I think it's a software problem:confused:

8. mmetzger macrumors newbie

bodisaffa1 - have you tried a different cable?