Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clause

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
I have a G-4 that i would like to use as a Server for MAMP while building a web site use ing the MacBook.
As i have read in the user guide, file exchange between computers would be a drag and drop style with Firewire.
Question: how can i set up a connection between the two that would allow me to work in the files in the G-4 from the MacBook without the drag and drop routine, to be able to work directly in the other machine from the other.
what would work, fireWire or Ethernet.​
Do i need to set up a network.
Details of the two.
G-4--> 1.2 GHz CPU speed - 512 KB / L2 Cache (per CPU) - 1.25 GB Ram - 133 MHz Bus speed - 4.8.7f1 Boot ROM Version.
The MacBook is; 2.16 GHz Processor - 4MB L2 Cache (per processor) - 1 GB Ram - 667 MHz Bus speed - MB21.00A5.B07 Boot ROM Version.
Thank you.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
I have a G-4 that i would like to use as a Server for MAMP while building a web site use ing the MacBook.
As i have read in the user guide, file exchange between computers would be a drag and drop style with Firewire.
Question: how can i set up a connection between the two that would allow me to work in the files in the G-4 from the MacBook without the drag and drop routine, to be able to work directly in the other machine from the other.
what would work, fireWire or Ethernet.​
Do i need to set up a network.
Details of the two.
G-4--> 1.2 GHz CPU speed - 512 KB / L2 Cache (per CPU) - 1.25 GB Ram - 133 MHz Bus speed - 4.8.7f1 Boot ROM Version.
The MacBook is; 2.16 GHz Processor - 4MB L2 Cache (per processor) - 1 GB Ram - 667 MHz Bus speed - MB21.00A5.B07 Boot ROM Version.
Thank you.

Ethernet. It's faster than FireWire (assuming you get a router than can handle Gigabit speeds) and generally easier to deal with. You can set up a small network with a Cisco router and never have to worry about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.