Ethernet over Power recommendations?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mark2288, Apr 29, 2009.

1. mark2288 macrumors regular

Hello everyone,
    I MRoogled to see if there were any ethernet over power threads, but didn't find any recent ones that offered good information.

My current set-up at home offers pretty crappy wireless on the ground floor because the wireless router (D-Link DIR-655) is in the basement. I looked around for options to get some good connections on the ground floor and thought ethernet over power would be a good way to go. I would potentially, if possible, like to hook it all up so I could have a wired connection coming to the ground floor via over power and also hook up another access point on the ground floor that connected to the power (instead of just getting a wireless repeater I suppose).

I was wondering if anyone had any products they would recommend for ethernet over power.

Also what kind of device would I want to hook up to strengthen the wireless signal on the ground floor (not a wireless repeater - I want to hook it into the ethernet over power).

Thanks!

2. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

...why?

Seems as though there are many simpler solutions.

I also don't know what has changed, but the Ethernet over power solutions from just a few years ago were dismally slow. More for moving files around than using internet.

3. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

They have some out now that are 100 Mb/s. They're expensive.

4. mark2288 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm thinking a wireless repeater would probably be the simpler solution? Can you just buy a generic one or should I get a D-Link one to play nice with my router?

5. RayK macrumors 6502

I use them many times to install in shielded or metal buildings where no one wants cables and wireless doesn't work.
    I don't know the model number, but I know Netgear makes a few that are fast. They are expensive though.

6. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

Well, my very first thought was, "Why keep the wifi in the basement if you're on the main floor," but I'll assume there's a reason for that.

But yeah, pretty much any wireless repeater or router set to extend (this is a thing, right?) should in theory work. And likely be cheaper and/or faster than ethernet through power. I'm not sure buying the same brand would necessarily be significant, but I am sure there are others here that could help you out better than me (you may want to make another thread, since ethernet-over-power is a pretty narrow area of interest, I think).

7. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Actually the current top speed is 200 Mbps. I use a pair of Devolo ones to link my upstairs and downstairs networks. Practically no setup other than plugging them in, and it works flawlessly for me. I wouldn't even consider wireless for this task as I move a lot of files around. Given that you never get anything like the quoted throughput for wireless it's much faster.