Ethernet over Powerline

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by IgnatiusTheKing, Oct 26, 2009.

1. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Can I get some advice on who makes a good (and relatively inexpensive) ethernet over powerline adapter?

2. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I tried and failed with Netgear powerline adapters. Your household wiring needs to be compatible and evidently, mine is not. Who ever you get them from needs to have a good return policy.

3. hardax macrumors regular

Same here. I have a relatively new house and the Netgear adapters never worked for me reliably.

Not recommended.

4. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

5. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Thank for the replies. My house was built in the 50's, so I guess it's unlikely that I'll have any success with them?

6. rowsdower macrumors 6502

I have no personal experience or research to back this up, but I have heard that older houses actually work better because the circuits tend to be more directly connected.

7. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Good to know. I plan to pick one up soon and try it out. I'll report back on my results.

8. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I read once that the key is getting them on same circuit or fuse in the panel. So, if you turn off a fuse and both power outlet are off where you want the networking to run there's a great possibility it will work. My mom plugged one in on one side of the room and it didn't work across the room. Wasn't on the same panel... I had to use a wireless solution.

Finally, I use some Netgear boxes that have four wired ethernet ports. However, they connect to the main wireless network via an antenna and are essentially wireless to the box and wired for the peripherals/computers they're serving that don't have wireless capabilities themselves.

Good luck.

9. lc25 macrumors 6502

I swear by netgear powelines, they are a lovely product which saves plenty of time. After doing a few networking jobs for people i have found out the weaknesses that sometimes affect them,i have installed in house from the 60's,80's and a new build (which i was dreading) all with ease. As the above poster said fuse box's can play havoc but normally you will be ok.

10. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Slinglink Turbo

I went with a Slinglink Turbo 4-port to connect my various peripherals in the family room to my network (Xbox 360, Slingbox AV, DirecTV HD DVR, Mac Mini) as I didn't want to shell out for individual wireless adapters and didn't know enough about getting a multiport wireless bridge. While performance isn't spectacular (download speed dropped from about 19 Mbps for wireless or direct connection to router via wired ethernet to 6 Mbps using the Slinglink), it's more than adequate for the Slingbox and Xbox 360 as I use them. I switched back to wireless for the Mac Mini as I needed best speeds possible for that device.

11. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Yeah I'm leaning towards the SlingLink now because all I really want to use it for is to hook up my Dish DVR, and I just figured out that I only need one SlingLink to get that online. Everything else I have in there (Apple TV, PS3) can just catch my wifi signal.