Ethernet over USB making noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bender644, Aug 21, 2011.

1. bender644 macrumors member

I'm actually quite curious to know what is happening. Firstly, it gets hot and when I transfer a file it makes a buzzing noise.

Why does this happen? I don't think there's anything wrong with it since I read somewhere online that it does indeed heat up. What's the deal? I know USB can transfer power to devices whereas Firewire and Ethernet cannot (so far as I know).

Thanks for your input.

Bender

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

3. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

A little more clarification please. I'm assuming you think the buzzing is coming from the adapter?

I use the usb to ethernet adapter and I have no noise. Perhaps you should return it for a new one? That is if the noise is coming from there.

4. bender644 thread starter macrumors member

Indeed. There is a buzzing from the adapter. If you put your ear close to it you hear it and especially when it's transferring data.

5. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I'm pretty sure firewire can power a device and has twice the power of USB

6. Hallivand macrumors regular

Hallivand

Maybe it could be an issue with your MacBook Air itself, since my MBP buzzes when I transfer files across the network. Check there's no buzzing from the top left of the machine either when your transferring files. Also look into getting your adapter exchanged, as that shouldn't be happening.

7. bender644 thread starter macrumors member

I got it exchanged and it looks to be fine now. Still heats up a little, but no buzzing so far as I can tell.

The MBA should be fine then!

8. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

Nice. Mine heats up a bit too.