Ethernet port 1 works on 1 switch while not on another

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by for329, Oct 27, 2009.

1. for329 macrumors member

I have added a new switch to my network and it seems that ethernet port 1 does not work on this new switch. My network consist of dhcp server>switch 1>switch 2. Switch 1 is in my entertainment center and had ethernet port 1 connected to this switch since I have had my computer but when plugged into switch 2 which I have just added to my workstation and on the switch there is no lights and in system preferences port 1 flashes between not connected and no ip address. For port 2 it connects fine and both ports are set for dhcp. I have tried different cables setting a static address and can not find a reason why it won't work. Does anybody have an idea?

2. for329 thread starter macrumors member

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Do you have a web interface for the second switch? Check how it is set.

4. for329 thread starter macrumors member

It is a managed switch but I am not sure it could be a setting since both ethernet ports on the computer are set the same yet port 1 will work on the unmanaged switch but not the managed switch.

5. Adam0306 macrumors regular

Adam0306

Make sure that it isn't the uplink port you are plugging into. I make this mistake every now and then.

6. for329 thread starter macrumors member

I have tried it on multiple ports on the switch and it does not work but works with any port with the second network port on the computer.