Ethernet port doesn't work in OSX but does in Boot Camp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mds, Nov 30, 2007.

1. mds macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

Been troubleshooting this one awhile...I even did an Archive and Reinstall....my Ethernet port on my 2.16Ghz MBP won't connect to anything. I get an IPv6 address when plugging into a router, but DHCP never works and a manually assigned IP doesn't work either. Reboot into Windows and it works fine...I've tried removing the Ethernet port, and have futzed with all the settings trying to reset it, but no dice...

Problem started somewhere around 10.4.9, I think...I'm on 10.4.11...I reinstalled to .8 and worked my way back up...never works...

Any thoughtS?!

ThankS!

Mike

2. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

I've no real ideas, but saw your post and thought I'd reply as no one else has... just to keep you company ;-)

Logic says it must be a software issue as the hardware appears to work fine in Windows. Is is possible that a Mac firewall setting is getting in the way? Is the IP address in Windows the same as the IP address in the Mac - can you set different addresses. If the Mac is also connecting wirelessly, does that get a different IP address? Are you sure that when you boot out of Windows, windows is not some how hanging on to the port and "hiding" it from the Mac? Does a hard boot change anything at all?

http://www.atpm.com/network/problems/ethernet_fails.htm

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-52653.html

Good luck

3. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

4. mds thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, MH....I did feel like I was talking to myself...I guess you're not allowed to bump threads here at MR...

I tried the location thing, no dice. Played with some of the suggestions in the other threads and no improvment there either. :-/

Checked the console, and am getting this error:

mDNSResponder: HostnameCallback: Error -65557 for registration of xxxx’s Computer. IP 192.168.1.100

Can't find this error decoded anywhere online. Does this mean anything to anyone?

I've tested this on known good routers, cables, etc. Works great in windows. Is there any way to fully remove the drivers or whatever for the device and reinstall it? My archive and install had no effect, but was a PITA! :-D

I did take it to the Apple Store, but they basically told me that since it worked in windows they just wanted to format the drive and reinstall OSX. I'm not going to do that at this point....keep wondering if upgrading to leopard will help any...

Thanks,

Mike

5. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

Hey Mike

Sorry nothings working.

Come on guys out there in Mac land, let's get this guy's ethernet port working, eh?

Festive spirit and all that - someone must have an idea...

6. mds thread starter macrumors 6502

hey guys,

I'm reviving my old thread to see if there is any new info out there....I've since updated to Leopard as a clean install, not an upgrade and my ethernet still doesn't work. It can't/shouldn't be hardware related because it works if I use bootcamp...any advice on how to track this down would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Mike

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hiya.. If your system is working via windows, then it's not a hardware glitch but it does sound like there's a mis-configuration some where. I'm however not a network guy but maybe this might help...

Log into your router, if possible take a look at your router's settings and make some notes of it's IP address.. if you can connect with WIFI, there must be a default gateway.. usually it'll look something like this.. occasional they might be different, either way you must find out what they are!

IPv4 Address : 192.168.0.1 (usually)
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0 (normally)

Alternatively, have you tried looking in the application utility called Network Utility.app? It'll bring up all your connections, even those used via WIFI. From there you can see the IP address that your connected to, speed, data received and sent.

[​IMG]

Once launched it'll display the default tab Info, leave it on there...
    For the Ethernet connection you need to change the drop down menu to Network Interface (en0), the default is your built-in AirPortExtreme card Network Interface (en1).

8. Vidphile macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem in snowleopard OSX 6.2

Any ideas?