Ethernet Port is dead. Can it be fixed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fabiano, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Fabiano macrumors regular

I have an Early 2008 (not unibody) 15" MBP. The Ethernet Port suddenly is not working anymore. Tried everything, even reseting the PRAM. The system keeps saying the Ethernet cable is not connected. I think its burned down. Is it repairable? I mean, the Ethernet controller is on the Logic board right? so, Im afraid the unique possible solution for this is replacing the Logic board! Thats a $800 piece of hardware :(

2. celticpride678

If it was purchased in the last year, or you have AppleCare on it, just go to the Apple Store and they will replace it for you (free).

3. Fabiano thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I meant Early 2008. And no, I dont have Apple Care, so Im out of the Warranty period :(

4. celticpride678

Sadly, yes. If you want, you look for the part on eBay or Craigslist and then do a DIY fix. There might be a guide on MacFixIt.com on how to replace a Logic Board, but I'm not sure.

5. Fabiano thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I could do it myself for sure... but I cant afford the board :(

Anyway, I think I'm starting to feel the consequences of letting my MBP fall on the floor a month ago... My MB was never the same since then. It was not that bad, since it was inside a neoprene case when dropped. But, still it has a small bent on the case.

Then things became worse. First the Fan started to do some weird noises. Next was the Ethernet failing. Now Im facing the fact that the computer sometimes never come back from sleep. When that happens I need to force to shut down by holding the power button. Maybe I am just out of luck. I'm wondering whats next.

By the way, sorry for my bad english!

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Before thinking it's the computer...
    Have you checked the patch cable with another computer to make sure that it's working?
    It could've been damaged just as easily. Also, are you plugging it into a router or directly to the modem.
    Try using a different port on the router and make sure the connection from the modem is still working as well.

7. Fabiano thread starter macrumors regular

oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that my battery is failing also. damn, I'm screwed.

8. Fabiano thread starter macrumors regular

I tried on several patches here at my work. Also tested plugging it directly do my friend's Dell laptop, that should work since we were used to make direct file sharing this way. Later I will try on my DSL modem at home and see what happens.

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I think it's unlikely the port has a hardware failure, but it is possible. When you open the Network pane does it see the port? If so, try adding a new location using the port to see if that resolves it.

If it has failed, you might want to investigate Apple's USB ethernet adapter for the MacBook Air.

10. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

You could always take it to an Apple Store for diagnosis. I'm not entirely sure if they charge though, I hear they may charge a $69 diagnostic fee?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

11. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

If the network port is truly dead, I would recommend just purchasing an ExpressCard network adapter. That is by far your cheapest option.

12. andrew12090 macrumors member

wouldn't a usb adapter they have for air's work?

13. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I don't see why not, but USB is garbage and the ExpressCard slot sits idle for most people.

14. Fabiano thread starter macrumors regular

hmm... Looks like Apple's USB to Ethernet Adapter is only 100Mbits, as USB 2.0 is limited to 480M or so. I need a Gigabit Lan, but I've found that is hard to find an Express Card Adapter that actually work on Macs :(

15. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

This should work perfectly, but I don't know about availability in Brazil. Check online; Sonnet has a distributor locator and you might also be able to find it through your favorite search engine.

16. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Kinda sucks that you have to change the whole logic board to just get the ethernet port going.

17. neil1980 macrumors 6502

Wouldn't it work out cheaper just to add a wireless network point to your network and connect to your network with wifi instead?

I Know its not anywhere near gigabit but at least youd have the bonus of portability?

18. Fabiano thread starter macrumors regular

Actually I do use Wireless most part of the time. But still there are places I go that simply doesn't have Wireless available at all. I'm considering to get a Airport Express, although it costs a lot more (especially here, :apple: products are overpriced). Also it suffers of limited speed for some tasks like backups and large files transferring.

19. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

if your job relies on the use of your computer, and it isn't working correctly, get a new one. if you can work with what you have but at slower speed, you have to decide whether the time saved is worth more than the money spent.

20. Fabiano thread starter macrumors regular

Probably I'll go for the Express Card Adapter, no need to get a new computer just because a bad Ethernet Port... I'll wait at least until 2010 to get a new one. Mine is still fine after all :)

21. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Did you try parsing the port in the Network System Preferences pane? I do not believe you've exhausted your testing of the port to declare it dead.

22. Fabiano thread starter macrumors regular

How can I do that? Well I have done a series of tests, I even tried to reset the PRAM, removed / added the configs in the System preferences, ran the System Diagnosis (nothing wrong found). For me looks like its dead. But I will take it to Apple to make sure. I haven't done it yet just because the nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider is like 500 Miles away from me.

23. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Turn Airport off, then open System Preferences > Network. In the bottom left click the '+' sign and from the pull-down menu choose ethernet (Note, this requires that your computer is connected to an ethernet system.) and then choose DHCP (assuming your server assigns by DHCP). If there is a signal it should see it.

24. Fabiano thread starter macrumors regular

Just tried it. No luck :/