Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
If I plug the ethernet port of my Airport Express into a media player (TVIX, Dune, etc) will this give it network access or would the media player need to be connected directly to the modem/router?

Just want to give my media player access without having to purchase a wifi adapter.

Thanks...

Nov 28, 2010
located
The ethernet port on the AE is for connecting the AE to a modem or router/switch, thus if you connect the media player to the AE via Ethernet cable, the media player will not have internet/network access, nor will the AE broadcast a wireless network via which you can connect to the internet.
If you have a router, then connect the AE to the router and the media player to the router.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Yes it can do this. You'd be using it as a bridge. Take a look HERE at Apple's FAQs. I believe you want question #2. It can only work like this when you have it in a WDS setup with another Apple device.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
you can share the internet connection if the express is connected wirelessly to the modem/router.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes, I do have it connected wirelessly to another airport express. Would it then pull a signal via the Ethernet port or there would be more for me to setup?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.