Ethernet port on Airport Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Chuchichan, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Chuchichan macrumors 6502

If I plug the ethernet port of my Airport Express into a media player (TVIX, Dune, etc) will this give it network access or would the media player need to be connected directly to the modem/router?

Just want to give my media player access without having to purchase a wifi adapter.

Thanks...

2. simsaladimbamba

The ethernet port on the AE is for connecting the AE to a modem or router/switch, thus if you connect the media player to the AE via Ethernet cable, the media player will not have internet/network access, nor will the AE broadcast a wireless network via which you can connect to the internet.
    If you have a router, then connect the AE to the router and the media player to the router.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yes it can do this. You'd be using it as a bridge. Take a look HERE at Apple's FAQs. I believe you want question #2. It can only work like this when you have it in a WDS setup with another Apple device.

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

you can share the internet connection if the express is connected wirelessly to the modem/router.

5. Chuchichan thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes, I do have it connected wirelessly to another airport express. Would it then pull a signal via the Ethernet port or there would be more for me to setup?