Ethernet problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hizo, Aug 31, 2011.

1. hizo macrumors newbie

Hello, i bought my first macbook pro a week ago and i seem to have some kind of problem with connection to the internet...when im at home my wifi and ethernet both work perfectly but when im on school network, i plug in ethernet cable, it connects me and i can browse pages or chat on icq, BUT i cant connect to jabber, mails or download torrents. i was on school network with PC and these things worked so its probably sth with mac settings. i have no idea where i should look for a solution :( please somebody help.

2. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

It's possible that your school blocked those ports since the last time you connected. I would find someone else in your class with a Mac to see if they've done anything to overcome the problem.

3. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Yes, your school is almost certainly blocking those services. I would recommend you simply live with them instead of searching for some shady method of getting around them. Its not worth it.

4. hizo thread starter macrumors newbie

i will ask somebody and let you guys know...but i think its not possible that school is blocking Gmail port, even the school's own mail didnt work and that certainly SHOULD...now im at work on wifi and everything is okey again. isnt there some way i can post you some logs or reports and u identify the problem?

5. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

schools are janky like that- for example, my school blocked fb and tumblr, including most chat ports, on the wifi (which we weren't supposed to use anyways, but I did anyways). However, forcing HTTPS would usually get us back into the chat stuff... and when we used an ethernet port (which we REALLY weren't supposed to be doing) it basically opened everything up except for fb.)

6. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Its probably worth your while having a chat to your school's network admin/support team as its highly likely that its a networking issue and not a problem with your MBP.