ethernet question for older macintosh

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by bluefever, Apr 5, 2009.

1. bluefever macrumors newbie

i'm new to the forums and definetly new to macintosh's,i have an older performa 580cd,my question is,is it possible to hook ethernet up to my computer,if so,what do i need to do it?

2. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

You may need to buy an ethernet card for it. Take a look here : http://www.welovemacs.com/macpe58ne.html

3. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

The physical port is one step. If you are you planning to connect it to the internet, you will need the TCP/IP control panel and system extension as well, which may not have been installed if you don't have the port.

4. bluefever thread starter macrumors newbie

it had a global village 14.4 external modem included with it when I got it,and I was told they used to go online with it "quite a few years ago".i don't know,would i need anything other than whatever was installed for the dialup modem for ethernet to work?

5. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

See Chas0001's reply. That is a very useful link, and it answers your question about what's needed to 'go ethernet'. http://www.mactracker.ca however suggests that there is no ethernet expansion available for the 580.

The GV modem is dialup only, and slow at that, so it's better discarded unless you plan to stick with slow dialup.

Third item on the list is a modem/router. IF you can get an ethernet card into the 580 and get it working, then you will need a router to enable connection via broadband.

Quite honestly, to enhance your Mac experience, keep that 580 for basic computer functions, eg. text processing, older games etc, and consider purchasing a used but more modern Mac, eg. G3 iMac, for ethernet use, if your finances will allow.

6. txnoob macrumors 6502

Have fun with that vintage machine. I took at 486 on the internet last year. LOL. Scary.

7. MacGnG macrumors member

MacGnG

8. Mac SK macrumors member

Its a jazzed up LC 575 and should have a communications slot for an ethernet card or fax/modem card. Its expandable to 52mb and has a 500mb IDE hard drive and built-in microphone. If you can find a Global Village 56 modem that work better, I'am useing one right now.No problem.