Ethernet Recv errors

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ashman70, Oct 3, 2014.

1. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I have a late 2013 iMac that experiences LAN connectivity issues from time to time on my home network. Periodically it will lose connectivity with the LAN, it has static network settings, and the only way to resolve the issue is usually a reboot. I have tried disabling the ethernet port, the wifi works fine, then re enabling the ethernet port, this works sometimes, but not all the time. Right now the network utility is showing 6 Recv errors on the ethernet card. I know the cable is fine, the switch is fine, its very odd. Any ideas? This iMac was bought as a refurb back in June.

2. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Time and again, problems like this usually end up being network.

Until you've proven that your router is not the problem, that is the first suspect.

Why are you set up with static IP instead of DHCP?

Do you have connectivity issues with another computer, connected to the same ethernet wire with the same IP assigned as your iMac? In other words, you take your iMac out of the equation and for troubleshooting purposes, connect another computer in its place to see if the same problem occurs. If it does, it's your LAN, not your iMac.

3. ashman70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I have a static address for a few programs that require it, however when I experience the problem I have switched to a DHCP address and it does not resolve the problem. No other computers on my network are having issues, just this iMac. For awhile I disabled my ethernet adapter and just used wireless on the iMac, it worked fine. Guess I'll just wait until it happens again and call Apple support when it does.

4. FreemanW macrumors 6502

It could be the port on the router that the iMac is connecting with. I have seen single ports on both switches and routers get flaky and/or fail without any symptoms or sign of trouble from adjacent ports on the same device.