Ethernet Speed Is Fine, Wireless Is Extremely Slow...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nrus007, Jul 25, 2009.

1. nrus007 macrumors newbie

I have tried internet speed tests on two laptops, one being a macbook and the other being a HP laptop running Windows Vista. I am meant to be getting 10mb download speeds and get it on the Windows Laptop using both ethernet and wireless connections, however when I use the macbook I get 10mb download speeds with Ethernet but not with wireless. I have tried changing the DNS servers to OPEN DNS on both my router and macbook but this did not help. Can anyone help me to fix this problem and get my wireless speeds the same as my Ethernet speeds. I am running Leopard 10.5.7 and upgraded a few days ago, I also used software update to update the rest of my software.

Many Thanks

nrus007

Here are my specs

http://www.apple.com/uk/macbook/specs.html

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

What distance are you from the base?

Have you tried a different channel? Many routers use the same channels and end up conflicting.

3. nrus007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am right next to my router, I will try to change the channel and see if that works and I'll get back to you.

EDIT : I'm afraid that didn't work as I still have the same speeds as before, do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

5. nrus007 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I have not. Would this effect my wireless speed? Could you please elaborate and tell me how to do this and what to look for as I am a complete noob when it comes to everything mac.

Many Thanks

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Well I havnt had a MacBook since my wifedropped my G4 down the stairs but I do have a hp with pre n on the mains it runs full speed on the battery it steps back to a trickle. I changed the advanced power settings in control panel to stopthis. Check the mac for the same options being a 'green' machine it will have the same options.

7. nrus007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried changing all the energy saver settings and this did not affect the wireless speed. Currently tearing my hair out, do you have any other suggestions at all? I don't have a time machine backup so would it be possible to downgrade from 10.5.7 to 10.5.5 as this might help, I cannot find my Mac OS X Leopard Install Disc so it would have to be done with a combo update. I tried installing the 10.5.5 update earlier but it did not let me, can you advise me on how to downgrade this way?

Thanks

8. ag55 macrumors regular

On windows you can speed up connections by changing the TCP limits, a good tool is tcpoptimizer. You scroll a slider to your speed (10mb for you), choose optimal settings and it adjusts registry keys etc so you can surf/download as quick as possible.

I dont know how it works for the Mac yet, but it does have draft N wireless so you should be able to get very fast speeds. In your router disable the security to see if it speeds things up (just temporarily), change the channels, google (a lot of good info can be found).

Good luck

9. oculus42 macrumors 6502

What Wireless Router

What wireless router are you using? I have a Linksys WRT150N that I cannot use at 802.11n speeds with my MacBook Pro because they have incompatible 802.11n Draft specifications.

Can you tell us the brand of the router and the brand of the wireless card in the PC? You can check the PC by right-clicking on My Computer (or Computer if it is Vista) and choosing Manage, then selecting the Device manager and checking under Network Interfaces (Network something, not sitting in front of a PC).

10. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I have read hundreds of problems with companies wireless routers. (LinkSys seems to be the worst) So when I bought one I was a little set back at the extra cost for the :apple: router but bought it anyhow. Now I am glad that I did as I never have had a problem with it...

11. nrus007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I have a netgear WGR614 v6 router, it is not wireless N compatible. However I should be getting 10mb download speeds and the vista laptop is whereas I am only getting 1mb download speeds... Please help!

12. eckoman11 macrumors newbie

13. nrus007 thread starter macrumors newbie

14. nrus007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am going to try another netgear router as this way I will be able to tell whether it is a problem with either my router which I would need to replace or whether I will need to buy a Wireless N Router as this may give me the best speeds and quite frankly the Apple Extreme Base Station looks rather nice...

15. nloeff macrumors newbie

Same problem here

Hi, I was wondering if you finally solved the problem. I've experienced the same problems you have: slow wireless speed, but normal wired ethernet speed.

I also have a wgrt614 v6. I have the latest firmware. The problems appeared in my macbook pro and black macbook after upgrading to 10.5.8. Windows laptops don't have this problem. I've tried tweaking almost every possible parameter, from MTU to DNS caching, without success.

Any help is greatly appreciated.