Ethernet speeds unusually low on downstream, but not upstream

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theLemur, Jul 3, 2017.

1. theLemur macrumors regular

At first I thought something was wrong with AT&T Fiber, I was getting 650 down and 950 up. I had the same service at my previous home and got 950 down and 950 up, so I felt the computer (late 2013 retina MBP) couldn't be the issue. I recently switched to google fiber and I still get the 650 down and 950 up, and we tested another computer on the network which got 950 down and up. So now I'm left to assume there is a hardware or software problem with the MBP.

Any ideas? I'd prefer to do a total reinstall, but that's my last resort..

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Have you tried the basics like changing the Ethernet cable and cleaning the port?

3. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

I did, but we were able to get the full speeds with the same cable. The only thing different in the equation is the computer (my MBP) and the thunderbolt dongle

4. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

So I just got FIOS gigabyte service installed, and I am having a similar issue with low download speeds on my MBP (2010 model). I can only get around 200 down and 350 up over Ethernet, which is terrible considering what it should be. I wonder if there is some hardware limitation?

5. jerryk, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017

jerryk macrumors 68040

I wish I could get those speeds, especially the upload! Stupid Xfinity cable. 200 Mbps down, 11 Mbps up.

6. robvas macrumors 68030

My question would be what are you using to test the speeds? There are so many variables brought into play especially when downloading from the internet.

It would be highly unlikely that this would affect uploads and not downloads. Theoretically it's possible but I've never seen it in the field.

My other question would be, is this issue even affecting you?

7. Lightsaber macrumors member

Google "OS/X MTU networksetup". You probably need to change the network packet mtu size.

8. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Thanks! What should it be set to? Every time I try to change it, OSX just resets it to 1500.

9. Lightsaber macrumors member

This is one of those play with the setting until you are happy with it type of things. Make sure you are setting using sudo/root privileges to make it stick

10. dyn macrumors 68030

How are you measuring things? What tooling do you use?

11. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I use Verizon's Speedtest site and also Speedtest.net.

12. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

Speedtest by Ookla is the best way to test your down/up speed. It's in the App Store.

13. killawat macrumors 65816

Thanks, didn't know they had a desktop app.