Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k-luiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
My iMac is about 5 years old . A couple of years ago it was having trouble connecting to the web via the router-- I'd have to turn the router off and back on and then restart the computer for it to find the connection. Eventually it couldn't find it at all and I could only get online via wireless. I replaced the modem and the cable with no better luck. AppleCare was no help diagnosing this-- in fact one tech tried to tell me it was the fault of my home page. Now I am trying to hook up Time Machine but I think it wants a wired connection in order to work. Advice please?

BenniG

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
I had a similar problem with an imac, because of lightning in a telephone line which killed the router and the ethernet of the mac was also defect.

Solution: i went to the local apple retailer and bought this usb to ethernet device designed for macbook air. Just check, if your mac is not to old, my imac is similar to yours. Maybe you canborrow one.

Good luck

PS : I have also a XP installation on the imac. XP can' t handle that device

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.