Ethernet Switch & Download Speed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by burto, Aug 29, 2010.

1. burto macrumors newbie

hi,

I have an old Ethernet Switch on my network (about 5 yrs old or more) and I was wondering if I should get a new one, the old one works fine but I am concerned it might be slowing down my internet speed.

My modem is plugged into the switch and then my machines (4) run off the switch.

Does an Ethernet Switch have an impact on internet speed in a system set up like this?

Thanks.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

3. cube macrumors G5

A 100 Mbps switch is not going to slow down your less than 100 Mbps internet.

4. burto thread starter macrumors newbie

the switch is 100Mbps. So I guess this means if my internet speed is greater than that it might slow it down but if its less than that it won't slow it down. Would that be right?

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can test your internet speed via www.speedtest.net when your Mac is directly connected to the modem.
    You might also check if your router (if you have one) is even capable of speeds greater than 100Mb/s.

Btw, 100Mb = 12.5MB/s, which would be incredibly fast, 1000MB would download in less than two minutes, if the server you download from offers that kind of upload.