Ethernet switch problem...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SLRphotography, Apr 8, 2009.

1. SLRphotography macrumors newbie

I have a DSL modem / router. Connected to it is a NAS drive, networked HP laserjet, and a Vonage phone device. I connect 2 Macs, a PC, and a Wii to it wirelessly. Everything is great except access to the NAS drive is very slow. So, I thought I would buy a gigabit switch to connect the Macs, PC, NAS drive, and printer together because they are all in the same room. This would give me better speed to and from the NAS drive.

So, I purchased a Netgear ProSafe gigabit switch (model GS108) got a couple of Cat5e cables and connected my PowerMac G4 to it. The Mac sees the Ethernet cable and gets an IP address from the DSL modem/router. I can sent and receive mail fine. However, Safari and iTunes do not see the internet. In Safari I get the usual "Cannot connect to site XXXXXXXX" message and in iTunes I get the connection lost message on my podcast subscriptions.

I have tried to force the Airport card and Ethernet port to use the same IP address and to use different IP addresses. I have dried to disable the Airport card. I have opened up the terminal window and issued these commands:
    ifconfig -a
    nslookup www.google.com
    route get apple.com
    traceroute www.apple.com
    ping www.google.com

All those commands returned the same information from both the Airport connection and the Ethernet connection.

I am running the Safari 4 beta if that makes a difference. I need to find the way to rollback to Safari 3 do see if that will fix it. However, I thought I would post my problem here in the hopes I am overlooking something simple but that I am unaware of.

Any thoughts anyone? :confused:

Thanks,
    Scott

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

run an ethernet cable from the switch to the router? and turn off airport on the devices hooked to the switch.

this will also give you access to the printer and storage from the wireless side if you have a laptop that you want to move around with.

3. SLRphotography thread starter macrumors newbie

OK I didn't say that I connected the switch to the router but I did.

I tried everything connected to the switch and airport turned off. I can read and write to the NAS dirve, I can print, I can send/receive e-mail. However, I can't use Safari or iTunes.

4. SLRphotography thread starter macrumors newbie

OK. I downgraded my Safari back to 3.2.1 and Safari and iTunes "can't find the network". One more interesting thing is that while Safari cannot open web pages and CAN read rss feeds just fine.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

Check your proxy settings under network connections. There might be a weird setting on the wired connection. (everything worked great when you were wireless, but then stopped when you hard wired?)

have you tried firefox?

firefox has it's own proxy settings that are different than the ones safari and (i'm guessing) iTunes looks at. (software update probably won't work either if those settings are wrong)

also as a side note, you never want 2 devices on the same network with the same address, even if they are in the same computer, so make sure you aren't set up to the same address still.

6. SLRphotography thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. The proxies were different and that was the problem. I made them the same and all is better now. :D