Ethernet Switch suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by McGiord, May 8, 2016.

1. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Hi I have an AirPort Extreme AC and with the addition of various bridges to my 'smart home' I'm now in need of more wired ports than the 3 it has. What switches you recommend to expand the ports of the Airport Express? Thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have always been a fan of this NetGear Prosafe model.

That said, I don't think there is a huge difference among the major brand name consumer GB switches.

3. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Agreed on the GS108. I've got at least five of them in various spots around my church running checkins and such. Also have some higher end 16 and 24 port managed ones with fiber running the main equipment for the time being. Good stuff that just works.

At my parents house I've got the 16 port version (GS116NA) hooked to our AirPort Extreme and it runs all the wall jacks around the house plus some AirPort Expresses in the corners of the house and in an outbuilding.

4. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

I've used the Netgear switches for ages. They are workhorses and I've had no issues with them. Just get the size you need, plug it in, plug in your cables and you're good to go. They're not expensive, either, which is a decided plus.

5. r8ders2k macrumors member

FWIW, I got 2 of the Netgear 8-port Gigabit switches (#GS608v4) connected to my AirPort Extreme 802.11ac.

6. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

Another for Netgear if you just need a basic switch.

Be sure to keep your purchase receipts in a safe place! Netgear DOES have a lifetime warranty on their switching equipment, but they'll only honor it if you have the original receipt.