Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoodWrites

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2010
Washington, DC Metro
Home Sharing???

I am really confused as to what your intent is. If you are wanting to have your movie stores (on your external HDD) available to watch on you primary TV, then you have what you need.

I was incorrect in my last post, Home Sharing CAN be done over ethernet (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3819).

I suggest you establish your Mac Pro as your primary iTunes repository with the external HDDs of movies. Then, uncheck the box as I suggested above, so your Mac Pro doesn't "ingest" all of those movies and produce duplicate copies inside it's Movies folder.

If you do this, and enable Home Sharing, you can view all the materials on your Mac Mini that reside on the Mac Pro iTunes account. You can also use the Mac Mini to rent movies, watch Netflix, Hulu, and more. All of that without doing anything extraordinary such as purchasing super long HDMI cables and such.

Best of luck!

PS I used to do the "alias" thing with networked drives to my Mac Mini. You must create an alias for each of the external HDDs and then place that alis in your Movies folder under the username on your Mac Mini. Then, Front Row can see them. Again, I "used" to do that until Home Sharing. Now, I share a single iTunes account amongst all of my devices.

aaronthomas

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2008
I am really confused as to what your intent is. If you are wanting to have your movie stores (on your external HDD) available to watch on you primary TV, then you have what you need.

I was incorrect in my last post, Home Sharing CAN be done over ethernet (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3819).

I suggest you establish your Mac Pro as your primary iTunes repository with the external HDDs of movies. Then, uncheck the box as I suggested above, so your Mac Pro doesn't "ingest" all of those movies and produce duplicate copies inside it's Movies folder.

If you do this, and enable Home Sharing, you can view all the materials on your Mac Mini that reside on the Mac Pro iTunes account. You can also use the Mac Mini to rent movies, watch Netflix, Hulu, and more. All of that without doing anything extraordinary such as purchasing super long HDMI cables and such.

Best of luck!

PS I used to do the "alias" thing with networked drives to my Mac Mini. You must create an alias for each of the external HDDs and then place that alis in your Movies folder under the username on your Mac Mini. Then, Front Row can see them. Again, I "used" to do that until Home Sharing. Now, I share a single iTunes account amongst all of my devices.

Ok thanks! Think I will try that after I see if I can get a video card put into the pro..... I haven't open up the mac mini yet and would love to return it if a HDMI card and the two cat5s would work.

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Ok thanks! Think I will try that after I see if I can get a video card put into the pro..... I haven't open up the mac mini yet and would love to return it if a HDMI card and the two cat5s would work.

I say give that a try and if it doesn't work you can always try to make the
Mini work.

smallyfish

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2010
I feels a little dizzy at the first sight of your picture,I do not know much about the IT or computer things,some one else may help you,not me.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Second option... If I put the Alias of the movies on the mac mini.... do the externals have to be connected directly to the mini... or will it pull the movie using front row directly for the externals in the other room on the pro?

It grabs the movies from the Mac Pro. No need to move the externals. As for making sure they're in a compatible format....if you have the codecs on the mini, it'll play. Naturally, the more mac friendly the format the easier things are.

Like I said...Im running this setup, it works. Its not the best method, as using atv's in a home share setup kinda kicks it in the butt, but its simple, and functional.

aaronthomas

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2008

aaronthomas

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2008
It grabs the movies from the Mac Pro. No need to move the externals. As for making sure they're in a compatible format....if you have the codecs on the mini, it'll play. Naturally, the more mac friendly the format the easier things are.

Like I said...Im running this setup, it works. Its not the best method, as using atv's in a home share setup kinda kicks it in the butt, but its simple, and functional.

Simple and functional is good! Just want front row to pop up and play flicks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.