Ethernet to modem or time capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by trackbikes, Aug 18, 2013.

1. trackbikes macrumors regular

I've recently added a time capsule , airport express and Apple TV to my network. All connected via wifi (Ethernet isn't practical)

I am still connecting to my imac directly from the modem.

Should I be connecting via the time capsule LAN port and will that have performance improvements?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

first a few questions...
    your modem also has wifi?

your modem acts as your main base station?
    your time capsule connects via wifi to the modem's network? (no ethernet at all)
    your airport express connects via wifi to the modem's network?
    your aTV connects via wifi to the modem's network?
    your iMac connects via ethernet to the modem?

and what exactly do you mean by improve performance?

-------

if the imac is wired to the time capsule, then time machine backups will go faster, and not eat all of your network bandwidth.

there is a good chance the wifi coming off your modem is slower than the internet speed you're paying your ISP for.
    if at all possible, wire the time capsule to the modem, and turn the wifi off on your modem. Doing it this way, you might see an improvement in your internet speed, but you will see a improvement in your time machine backups.

3. opinio macrumors 65816

Connect to Ethernet where possible. It should free up some of the wifi for other devices. The Ethernet is a lot faster and dedicated anyway.

Also it sound like you have two wifi points? This is not a problem, but I have disabled the modem before in your setup and have run everything off the APE.

4. trackbikes thread starter macrumors regular

The wifi on the modem is switched off I am simply using it as a modem to connect to the timecapsule.

I also connect the the iMac via an ethernet cable from one of the lan ports on it.

Everything is wired up to the TC