Ethernet Transmit Rate?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ontheGRIFT, Jun 30, 2014.

1. ontheGRIFT macrumors newbie

Is there a statistic somewhere to find an Ethernet Transmit Rate? Does that even exist, or am I just making up my own terminology? I'm running a mid 2010 macbook pro.

For example, I know I can hold down OPTION and click the wifi icon at the top of the menu bar and view various wifi stats, one stat in particular says TRANSMIT RATE, and I'm assuming that number represents mbps.

I know how to find LINK SPEED via network utility > info > ethernet/wifi etc...

But I'm NOT looking for a LINK SPEED. I'm searching for a Transmit Rate (like the wifi stat) but for ethernet...

sorry if this is a dumb question...

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Ethernet link speed is functionally equivalent to wifi transmit rate. Transmit rate is a number that's determined by signal strength and other factors. Ethernet isn't affected by these factors so you won't see a link speed other than 10/100/1000 Mbps.
    Are you looking to measure actual speed between devices on a wired network?

3. ontheGRIFT thread starter macrumors newbie

chrfr:

No, I was just being curious lol... Thinking of getting a new router that supports higher speeds than my old school 100mbs. Thanks for the reply!!! :)

4. chrfr macrumors 603

Then just look for one that has gigabit ethernet. This won't increase the speed of your internet connection, as that's set by the provider, unless you're paying for over 100Mbps internet service.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I use a utility called MenuMeters that displays various system metrics in the menu bar. It will show network throughput. I checked it after copying a lot of data over my network and got a peak transfer rate of 77.6 MB/s over gigabit ethernet.