ethernet vs wireless

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Toby Goodbar, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

i finally wired an ethernet port to where my powermac is. i know my wiring is good because it registers with the router and gets a real IP addy. i did this because i want faster speeds than wireless allows. but for some reason, it doesn't get internet. the diagnostic for ethernet says its working. BUT cant actually get any internet function to work. ive tried system settings to change service orders etc.... i don't know if i have to "tell" the mac somehow which connection to use or wether i can use 2 at once. for example safari on wireless, and Transmission on wired....

what am i missing?

any suggestions?

2. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

Had you tried resetting your modem? Sometimes that's all it takes.

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Reset the modem first then try the following.

I'd try turning the wireless card off and see if that works.

If not, try creating a new location inside the network preferences. In the new location only put the Ethernet option in there.

I hope one of those options helps. Good luck!

4. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

i had already tried turning of the wireless card, and making it inactive option. i had also tried resetting modem and router already

just tried the location idea and it didn't work

5. jampat macrumors 6502a

Do you have another computer available? It sounds like a router issue more than a computer issue and a friends computer could quickly rule out your computer as the problem. Maybe your router is not allowing internet access to wired connections.

6. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

theres BEEN a windows box plugged into the router via hardline and it never has any problem with internet access. i even tried swtiching ports to check for a bad port on the router, leaving windows box unplugged from it also.

7. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Can you ping the router?

Can you ping another computer?

Can you ping Google? By name and IP?

8. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

all NOs.
    its really strange... pinging reports 100% packet loss, but if i turn airport back on (which airport works flawlessly) everything works as well as packet return. but i guess thats stating the obvious

9. GS Owner macrumors member

Are you getting Internet Service at all?

Before my Mac was hooked up I made very sure I was going to get Service to begin with. It sounds like you're hooked up all right, but the Cable Company (or whomever) doesn't have you listed as a customer.:apple:

10. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

yes, but only thru wireless, as stated above. matter of fact im posting using the computer with said problem.

11. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

If the provider gave you some sort of code or password, you may need to set it somewhere in the Network options in System Pref.

12. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

Negative. No codes or passwords from ISP.