Ethernet wayyyyy faster in Windows than OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by andrewt1187, Nov 12, 2007.

1. andrewt1187 macrumors member

I figured I would post it here because its more of an OS X problem than Windows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

that makes no sense. my speeds are exactly the same in leopard and a vista machine.

3. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

You tested a day apart and really think that's valid?

You need to test minutes apart, or seconds apart to even have a valid complaint.

Router problems, packet routing, packet loss, lag, traffic and a host of other items could be different from one day to the next.

4. IzzyJG99 macrumors 6502

Yeah, you can't test a day apart and on different servers to get any sort of accurate test.

5. akadmon macrumors 68020

The OP is right. I routinely get much slower wireless speeds on my Mac Pro than on my PC laptop (I also use speedtest.net to check my connection speed). :mad::confused:

6. andrewt1187 thread starter macrumors member

I took the tests so far apart because I was in XP all night using Word.

Anyway, its not the only time i've taken the test. The OS X tests have never broken 5000 whereas the Windows tests always break 15,000.

Also, the speed is noticeably slower in OS X.

7. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

I don't know how credible Speedtest.net is supposed to be, but here is what I got for my 10/10 connection:

[​IMG]

That said, tests initiated from behind the same router within a short amount of time shouldn't differ that much between computers as the OP's do (provided that the numbers differ that much when the tests are taken within minutes from each other too).

If my speeds would differ like that, I'd first check the Ethernet part of System Preferences to make sure the correct Speed/Duplex/MTU are set, same proxies and so on, then I would try from a couple of different browsers on the same computer.

(Actually, I would test both computers with http://www.bredbandskollen.se/ and TPTest 3 or 5 too, but swedish may not be for all :))

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

The bottleneck there isn't going to be your ethernet, it's your internet connection.

Ethernet has absolutely tonnes more bandwidth than would ever be needed for internet connections nowadays. The world's fastest internet connection is 1 gbp/s (at BT's Goonhilly communications centre - I've used it), and most Macs (if not all) come with gigabit ethernet.

It's your internet dude, not the ethernet.

9. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

How did you verify that no other applications were using the connection at the time? Perhaps an upgrade was being downloaded, or something along those lines.

10. akadmon macrumors 68020

Don't mean to budge in, but yes, absolutely -- it is the internet connection these tests are measuring. I've used several other so called broadband measuring sites/tools and they all confirm what I suspected from the subjective feel of browsing on my Mac vs. browsing on my Win XP laptop: the mac connection is consistently only about 1/3 the speed. BTW, when I first got my Mac Pro a year ago I did not perceive that my web browsing was slow. Only after one of the Airport updates earlier this year did I start noticing something was not right, which prompted me to run all these tests. I've called Apple several times about this, but they have not been able to resolve the issues that I am having (and lot of other people, apparently, are having) with the speed of the internet connection on the Mac. I've even had to pay for a Comcast service call, since it turns out the problem is not with Comcast but with my Mac.

11. SawTooth500 macrumors member

And are both of your connections wireless, or wired?

What is the speed of the card in each, if wireless?

MacPro should be at least 1000 for ethernet. Don't know about the WinDoze machine.

I can test my upload and download speeds from Vonage's help page by clicking on the 'How can I test my upload speed?' link. You don't have to be a Vonage customer to use it.:apple:

I see 4.5Mbps down and 1Mbps up on my connection right now. On the Mac
    My son's runs about the same. His is WinDozeXP Both Wired

Downloaded my updates in less than 5 minutes for Leopard.

I watched it do a 47meg dmg file in less than a minute.
    That's what I go by
    Tiger would take better than 5 minutes for the same size file.
    :rolleyes:

12. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

You tested Windows when no one's up and Mac during peak usage hours. Great work.

13. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

For those seeing slower connections with your Macs:
    Are you using wireless or wired?
    Is there any difference between wireless and wired?
    What encryption if any are you using on wireless?
    Open a terminal window and type "ping www.yahoo.com". Let it run for 100 pings. Stop it with Ctrl-C. Are there any dropped packets?

When I use WPA on my iMac, I get 1/3 the speed of wired or WEP/no encryption. There's no difference with my wife's MacBook or the Mac Mini under the TV. On the iMac, I see 20% packet loss with the ping test, 0% from the MB and Mini.

I see no difference on wireless between my Dell D810 from work and the MacBook/Mini, so I'm pretty sure it's an iMac hardware problem and not any issue with OS X ... I haven't tried with another wireless router though.

14. SawTooth500 macrumors member

Do the speedtest.net thing to Kosice, Slovakia.
    the speeds are in the 110Mbps range for down and 5200 kbps for up.

All the cross the water speeds are higher.

Then try Seattle. I got 1/2 a Mbps down and 3/4 a Mbps up from them.

I'm 50 miles SE of Scottsdale/Phoenix and 50 NW of Tucson. Neither of those is going along at better than single speed bicycles as compared to the Porches and Fararies (sp)being run in Europe.:eek:

15. highlighter macrumors newbie

16. akadmon macrumors 68020

Both my Mac Pro and my Dell Latitude laptop are connecting wirelessly to a new Airport Extreme router. The card in the Mac Pro is N type, the Dell probably is a G. I'm running WEP. I've tried both B and G connections, with basically the same results.

17. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

You will only notice the difference between those two with really, really fast internet connections and when copying between networked computers.

18. andrewt1187 thread starter macrumors member

ugh, i'm stupid.

i reconfigured the ethernet port manually (100/full duplex) and its blazing now.

19. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Thank highlighter and beg forgiveness from the Apple gods now.

20. mm1250 macrumors 6502

I just ran a test using the speedtest

My Mac OS X came in at 1.7up and 1.3down
    My Windows machine is 2.9up and 1.6down

My Windows PC is wired, my Mac is Wireless, but it shouldnt' make a difference since its Wireless G and its 50MB + the router sits like 4feet from the MacBook Pro

21. highlighter macrumors newbie

Glad I could save someone the week of pain I went through! (Apple Care, Genius Bar, endless forum searches, etc.) This was my first mac, so I didn't know Macs had trouble auto configuring ethernet.

22. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I just ran 4 tests at speedtest.net, my upload speed varied by 5000 kb/s per second upload and download speed with my high being 12,000 kb/s and my low being 7,000 kb/s. Not only is this site unreliable, you would have to take a huge sample of tests to draw any reliable conclusions. There are way too many variables, using a wireless router can make a huge difference depending on on possible interference, etc.

23. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

It's good to know you got OS X properly configured...next time also don't do the Window test at 5:00 in the morning and the OS X test at 4:30 in the afternoon.

24. akadmon macrumors 68020

I did what you suggested and I ran the test you provided a link for in your referenced thread (before and after the change), but I'm still getting abysmal performance (uploads <300 kbps!!!). The test keeps reporting that "Other network traffic is congesting the link". I've no idea what this means.:confused:

25. akadmon macrumors 68020

In the interest of fairness, after spending a long time troubleshooting my system this weekend (including countless hours on hold with AppleCare and Comcast) I found that it was my 4-year Linksys cable modem that was slowing everything down. All is well now :D