Ethernet & WiFi on, will it use Ethernet 1st?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MrMister111, Mar 23, 2015.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

I have an iMac with Ethernet (powerline) connected now, works ok. I normally had WiFi switched off but, for the "continuity" facilities from my iPad/iPhone I switched on WiFi on my iMac and connected to network fine.

However, what will the iMac use for connecting to the internet? Ethernet (powerline) or WiFi? I would expect Ethernet (powerline) is faster and more stable, how do you know?

thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Go to the Network pane in System Preferences. The one on top will be used first.

You can change that by clicking set service order and dragging the one you want to the top.

[​IMG]

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

ah ha, thanks for that, logical I suppose! I always just left WiFi off, now as I've said its on for iPhone/iPad continuity, calls etc.

So Ethernet is at the top, so I presume this takes precedence as you've said. Thanks for help :cool:

4. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

So do most people leave WiFi on now even though using Ethernet wired? This allows handover etc I believe?

I used to switch off WiFi when I used Ethernet, but suppose will leave on now for the extra functionality from my iPhone, calls even via my iMac now

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I leave it on and I believe most others do also. If you turn it off none of the location services stuff works either. It really does no harm to leave it on.