Ethernet Wireless Router?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DeadPixel217, Oct 16, 2011.

1. DeadPixel217 macrumors member

Recently I started my first year at University. They provide us with a fairly ok internet service in our rooms however we have to supply the computer (obviously) and a standard ethernet cable to connect to the network. This is really annoying when I have a laptop and want to use it in bed.

Is there a way I can create a wireless network by having an ethernet lead running into something that creates a wifi network (that isn't another laptop with internet sharing) ? Obviously a router wouldn't work since that doesn't use a ethernet lead to plug into the network.

Any ideas appreciated :)

Ollie

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep

But you may have to get the firewall settings from the admin at your college..Something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...aps&hvadid=17221791710&ref=pd_sl_8zlrwqhd7b_b

Will create what you need....Sorry it's the UK site, but you will find them on the USA site too. I'd ask the college sysop about settings Before you buy though.

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

The obvious thing is to ask the University. You're sure not to be the only person in this predicament.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Uh, what? Pretty much every consumer router uses an ethernet cable to connect to a modem. Maybe you're thinking of a modem - they get their connection from the ISP based off of whatever transmission line they use (coax, phone line, fiber, etc).

5. DeadPixel217 thread starter macrumors member

Its ok, I'm in the UK :D

What I mean is, if I'm at home for example we have a Netgear router that's connected to the phone line by a modem cable. Then ethernet cables connect non-wireless devices to the network. My problem is the university already has a 'router' that means all I get access to in my room is an ethernet port so I can't bring a router from home and use that. Does that make more sense?

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That is a modem/router combination unit. Stand-alone routers usually use ethernet cables with RJ-45 jacks.

7. DeadPixel217 thread starter macrumors member

Arh I see. Any advice on something to get for me? I don't want to fork out a lot but still don't want something rubbish.

8. eric/ Guest

eric/

Why can't you do that? That's exactly what you should do. Bring your router from home and plug the ethernet cord into the ethernet "data in" port and you will be able to connect to wifi.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The first thing you should do is check with your university to see if it's even allowed. Wireless access isn't worth getting your connection cut of entirely by network administration for allowing unauthorized access.