Ethernet with Mac and HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mdq8, Oct 5, 2015.

1. mdq8 macrumors newbie

mdq8

Hi guys ..

I'm using a Macbook Pro ( Yosemite ) and i want attach my external Hard Drive to my Macbook using Ethernet cable to transfer videos !
    I have inserted the CAT6 cable in both sides but nothing new appeared on my Macbook.
    This is my first time using this method, i know there are other options to transfer data but i want to try using the cable, is it possible ?
    Im new to this, so any detailed info would be great.

Thanks .....

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Ethernet may not work. While it may be possible to set up a private network between the 2 devices and get it working, it may be a challenge to get working reliably. It sounds like the drive you have is intended as network storage, not a locally-connected drive.

3. ddmcnair macrumors member

Did you try a cossover cable? Did you give the external drive a static IP on the same subnet as your Mac?

4. mfram macrumors 65816

We need more details about the "hard drive" you're trying to connect to the Mac. The Mac will likely automatically configure its network port. But the "hard drive" probably won't. You'll have to manually configure it. It isn't like just plugging in a USB cable.

5. cqexbesd macrumors regular

Almost any modern ethernet interface has Auto MDI-X meaning there is no longer any need for cross over cables. I'm pretty sure all Apple interfaces have had it for many years.

6. cqexbesd macrumors regular

You have to make sure that both devices (your mac and the NAS) think they are on the same network. Sometimes this will happen automatically with the use of various high level protocols but often it won't - is not required.

If you've never used the ethernet on your NAS then its probably on its default settings at you will need to check the docs that came with it to see what those are. Then you will need to set up your mac's ethernet interface to something compatible (using System Preferences -> Network -> Ethernet). The docs for your drive/NAS should cover this.

7. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Hmm, assuming that you are actually using Ethernet cable, most network drives are by design meant to "hang" on a network which means there would be a router of some sort in the mix (or at least a switch). As others have said, check the info for your network attachable drive and see if this NAS (network attached storage) can be used as a DAS (directly attached storage) via Ethernet.

You may find that it is possible via settings on the Mac or with additional software to access the external drive. One last thing, though a direct cable might work, you may not end up in duplex mode. It depends on the devices attached via Ethernet. I would follow the advice given thus far -
    1) make sure your device can attach directly to a computer
    2) while a Mac Pro doesn't require a cross over cable, there may be further settings affected (duplex for one).
    3) check out the subnet/ip set up on your external drive. If there is a default subnet, you know what must be done on the Mac side to address it.

8. mdq8 thread starter macrumors newbie

mdq8

Thanks

9. mdq8 thread starter macrumors newbie

mdq8

Thanks

10. mdq8 thread starter macrumors newbie

mdq8

Thanks

11. mdq8 thread starter macrumors newbie

mdq8

Thanks