Ethical dilemma - dodgy practice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iphonepiephone, Oct 9, 2009.

1. iphonepiephone, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The iPod will have a serial number attached to it. Once plugged in that serial number best match the casing. ;)

Your friend is kind of a douche to be honest.

Your friend is part of the reason we pay so much for certain items.
    No, let him fall. If you really call this dude a friend, which I can't see why you would, but if you must then let him fall and take the punishment.

At least in the US, if you know of this crime, and it is a crime, you're also liable. You're basically doing it with him since you know about it and you don't say anything.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Dilemma?

Surely it is a no brainer that your *cough* friend *cough* is a twunt? :confused:

I'd turn him in.
    At the risk of getting on some kind of moral high horse here, why would you want someone like that as a friend?

Types like him give those dodgy shops down Tottenham Court Rd their reputation…

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

In the U.S., a shop that did this wound up in big trouble with the owner in jail. It's called fraud. I wouldn't have any 'friends' like that. I'd write an anonymous letter to Apple and let them deal with it.

5. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I would turn him in and sacrifice the friendship.

You say it would be unfair to reveal his identity to the retailer - why? :confused: Unfair to the retailer, to all the customers that have to absorb the higher costs? Fairness to your "friend" isn't an issue here, IMO.

You can always make an anonymous tip to the retailer, or to the local police (if they've got the resources to follow it up, and not just let it die on someone's desk).

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

"Ethical Dilemma" - no, ethically his actions are wrong. You knowing about these actions and doing nothing is wrong.

"dodgy practice" - no, illegal practice.

For all of us who play by the rules and pay more for your friend's illegal actions, I am disgusted. You need to reevaluate your choice in friends.

7. mzd macrumors 6502a

are you sure about that? i didn't know there was such a strict legal interpretation of "guilty by association." it would be different if the OP was taking part in it, even if miniscule, but i have a hard time believing he could, in anyway, be liable himself simply by knowing what is going on.

8. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Are you sure he's your friend (or shall I say you're HIS friend)? I sure as hell wouldn't snitch on a friend if what he was doing wasn't hurting me. Seriously, you have a problem with something someone else does but don't have a problem going behind their back to butt into their business? That's certainly an aspect of your character that you should try to improve, one which I bet you thought wasn't a problem. You asked him to stop and let your opinion be known which is all you can and should do. To go further and interfere imo opinion would be worse than what he's doing.

On second thought, just call the cops on his ass. You'll probably get more satisfaction out of it than your friendship has brought so far.

9. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

I tend to agree with you on this. I couldn't narc out a friend. He'll get his though, what goes around

10. felt. macrumors 6502a

instead of putting forth effort to make someone elses life worse, use that energy to make your life better.

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

If you feel strongly enough about this that you'd report this - then I'd recommend you tell him first. Tell him you're about to go to the company and inform them of this practice without mentioning your friend's name, so if he tries it again he's sure to be caught.

That way, you're stopping what he's doing, you're saving the company money, and you're not having to go behind his back. If he chooses not to be your friend after that - it's not much of a loss.

"IMO". :)

12. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

The companies he is returning items to are IDIOTS if they don't notice something like this. There really is no dilemma for you. Just sit back and let him get burned. Just dont get mixed up in it. He may be able to do it once or twice but he will get caught.

13. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

A very wise point. Don't take sh*t, even from your friends. If he's the kind of person who knows what you feel and doesn't care, how much is your friendship really worth?

That's easy for you to say when you're not involved.

14. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

A situation like this is not easy no matter how you look at it.

It's very possible that some of us reading and participating in this thread have been in comparable dilemmas.

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I wouldn't turn in a friend; but, frankly, he's going to get burned. Especially with Apple.

Turning him in guarantees an end to the friendship. It's essentially your choice to give him a warning and THEN turn him in, which may or may not preserve the friendship, or simply try to discourage him, and then give him a stern told-you-so when he gets caught.

16. iphonepiephone, Oct 10, 2009
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

iphonepiephone thread starter macrumors regular

17. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Kudos on the solution. My guess though is that nothing short of an epiphany will change his mind about the questionable morality of his actions.

18. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

Citation needed.