Etymotic HF2 button + iPhone 4 = :-(

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by spblat, Jul 22, 2010.

1. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

My HF2 headset's button doesn't work properly with my iPhone 4. Sometimes the button causes the volume to spike, sometimes it does nothing, and occasionally it works as it is supposed to.

I never had this issue with my 3G. Anybody else having button issues with aftermarket earphones?

2. fillilutten macrumors member

I have the same setup and mine button is working flawlessly with the iPhone 4. Don't know what the problem could be. But if you have the oppertunity to try the headset on a different iPhone 4 you'll know if the problems is caused by the headset or the phone.

Good luck

3. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I have the exact same setup and everything works. FF Rew, pause, voice dial. The only thing thats off is when you're actually on a call, the iphone mic does not turn off, so you have the headset and handset mic on at the same time, thus causing a lot of back ground noise.

4. spblat thread starter macrumors 6502a

spblat

Me too. Thanks all. Looks like a replacement is in my future if I can prove my headset is ok.

5. atomicbatteries macrumors 6502

6. wrboyce macrumors 6502

I'm having the same issues you mention.. Did you get it sorted?

7. spblat thread starter macrumors 6502a

spblat

No. Worse, I got no response from Etymotic. I'll verify it has a two year warranty and indeed I guess I will send it back. Pity because the sound is so good. Since you're having the same issues, that makes it likely that neither of us has a defective unit, and there's something in the design that's incompatible with the new iPhone.

8. wrboyce macrumors 6502

The apple store lists the hf2 as compatible with the iPhone 4, but I've had nothing but endless problems with my hf2s to be honest. I think these are my third pair, I just tend to go into the Apple Store and have a moan; they've always offered a replacement (I'm still in first 12 months).

9. MBreaker macrumors newbie

Open Mic

Follow-up to Outrigger's post. I have two hf2's that worked perfectly with my iPhone 3G's. Just purchased two iPhone4's and I have the same problem with both headsets and both iPhones. Seems the iPhone mic is not disconnecting when the headset is installed, causing me to hear ambient room noise thru the earphones in conjunction with my phone conversation. Very annoying. Called Etymotic and they indicated they had heard of the problem but it was not their issue, but an iPhone issue. Has anyone else experienced this issue or know of a solution?

10. spblat thread starter macrumors 6502a

spblat

OP here. Etymotic did offer to evaluate my HF2's. Their e-mail said if they found a problem they'd replace, and if not they'd contact me. I'm not optimistic they'd find a defect.

I took my HF2's into an Apple store and tried it out with a floor iP4. Just once it seemed like the button didn't work, but after several more minutes fussing with it I was unable to reproduce the problem.

There's something giving me the impression that the issue has something to do with the quality of the connection between the 4 contacts on the plug and the iPhone. I think the problems are worse when the plug isn't 100% jammed into the hole.

Just did another test with my own iPhone 4. Really poor performance, frequently not recognizing the button presses even when I apply pressure on the connector. I think based on this I should ask Apple for a replacement.

ETA: Used some canned air to blow into the plug. Now it's testing almost perfectly. This is like the proximity issue, hard to nail down.

11. atomicbatteries macrumors 6502

Look, just send them back, they will replace them, their really great there, slow on response but great service. I have had two pairs replaced thus far, so just do it and you'll get a brand new pair!

12. spblat thread starter macrumors 6502a

spblat

...which would be an excellent thing to do if my set didn't work properly on demo iPhones at the Apple store.