Etymotic HF2 - gym?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Particular, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Particular macrumors member

Can I use these in the gym? I have never owned fancy headphones before and was just wondering will sweat cause any problems? Also can anyone comment on whether it suffers from the 'microphone effect', i.e. will it pick up the sound of my feet hitting the ground when running and relay it back through the earphones?

Thanks

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Don't know about the first question (don't see why not), but to the second - yes. Most earbuds, especially earbuds which fit tightly, will suffer from cable thump, which I assume is what you're referring to.

3. Particular thread starter macrumors member

does that apply to the hf2 only or all high up noise isolating type headsets for the iphone? Because the "thump" sounds like a major limiting factor, anyway around it? I want some good earphones, but I dont want to hear my feet pounding pavement

and what is with the first generation/second generation reference? arent the hf2's new?

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The thump is simply the reverberation of an impact on the headphone cable all the way up to your ears. There's really no way around it when it comes to earbuds - it's an inherent design shortcoming.

And it was first question/second question, not first generation/second generation. :)

5. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

Haven't done it with my hf-2's yet, but I HAVE run with E-3, and E-4's from Shure (similar in design), and had zero issues whatsover with them. Cable noise was not at all bad, though I generally kept the band tight around my head and wrapped the excess cabling around my hand. I'd be willing to bet the experience witht he hf-2 would be similar.