EU "AV Without Frontiers" directive

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by whooleytoo, Nov 19, 2009.

1. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Not sure if people are aware of this (until recently, I wasn't), but a new EU directive on AV media takes effect on December 19th this year, which could have a big impact on the availability of video content from other countries.

A key component is it becomes illegal to deny access to audio/visual media in other EU states.

I've learned of one iPhone app (TVCatchup) which will, after Dec. 19, work in any EU nation. I reckon the BBC iPlayer will do likewise; albeit overseas users may have to pay a subscription to compensate for not paying a license fee.

Good news! :)

2. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

So what about iTunes? is it turning into on Universal Store than is Pan-European? is it included in this?

3. whooleytoo thread starter macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I don't know, to be honest. I suspect it's more for content originating in the EU.

But this is a successor to the "TV Without Frontiers" directive; they are trying to broaden the scope beyond just TV, to all kinds of audio/video media, not just scheduled broadcasts but on-demand services too; so there may be hope; but probably not as soon as Dec. 19th!

I'd love a pan-European store, if it meant more varied content and TV shows/movies available here. The Irish store is one of the most limited.

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Nope. The deadline for implementing the EU directive on AV is December 19th, but every country in the EU already has implemented it into their national law already.

Nope, not one bit. There's a bit of stuff about collective licencing across territories and a strengthening of the existing TWF directive that a member state isn't allowed to block transmissions from another member state (e.g. Germany isn't allowed to put up signal blockers that prevent France's broadcast television signal from reaching Germany. They now won't be allowed to put up a China style firewall blocking those channels either.

But there is (and this is the important thing) absolutely nothing that compels anyone to make their channels available to any territory they don't want to, and given almost any broadcaster won't be able to clear the rights for outside their territory they will continue to geo-IP block it.

It'll be interesting to see if they go through with that, because they're completely wrong - they do not have a good track record of being right about the law, as their on demand service getting shut down demonstrated.

Nope, the BBC don't have the rights to offer this stuff internationally, and they would get sued for literally billions of pounds if they even tried.

The BBC will be offering international versions of iPlayer, but only ones that carry their international channels content - so for example Europe will probably get one that carries shows from BBC Prime/BBC Entertainment, the US will get one that carries shows from BBC America etc etc etc. Nobody knows yet if these will be ad-funded, subscription or PPV.

But that's it. No radical change here.

Phazer